New and having trouble identifying breeds

SamSam

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
Hi everyone. I'm just starting out with my first flock and having trouble identifying the breed some of my chicks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#1 4 week old mystery chick, Goldie. She's very people oriented and playful:

#2 4 week mystery, "M". Suspected cockerel, very sweet.

#3, 2 day old bantam, her underbelly is solid, soft yellow.:

#4 also 2 day old bantam: She has no gold/brown tones at all, just grey/silver, black and white and she is super fluffy. She looks chubby compared to the others.

Thanks!

Hi everyone. I'm just starting out with my first flock and having trouble identifying the breed some of my chicks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#1 4 week old mystery chick, Goldie. She's very people oriented and playful: Buff orpington?

#2 4 week mystery, "M". Suspected cockerel, very sweet. barred cochin?

#3, 2 day old bantam, her underbelly is solid, soft yellow.: ?

#4 also 2 day old bantam: She has no gold/brown tones at all, just grey/silver, black and white and she is super fluffy. She looks chubby compared to the others. EE bantam?

Thanks!

Ooh, I hope #1 is a BO. I hear good things about them. Thanks for the input!

#1 is not a BO. Buffs have white legs, as yours has yellow. Looks like a mix to me, but attractive bird.
#2 looks like a Barred Cochin cockerel, as you said.
not sure about the others..

#1 4 week old mystery chick, Goldie. She's very people oriented and playful: I'm thinking Buff Orpington. She looks like mine.(1 month)

#2 4 week mystery, "M". Suspected cockerel, very sweet. Barred Rock, or Dominique except for the feather legs. So I don't know.

#3, 2 day old bantam, her underbelly is solid, soft yellow.: Belgian d' Ucel? ...I don't think i spelled that right...

#4 also 2 day old bantam: She has no gold/brown tones at all, just grey/silver, black and white and she is super fluffy. She looks chubby compared to the others. EE. Not all of them have beards. I think you're confusing the fact that they ALL have beards with Ameracuanas. Pure Ameracuanas MUST have beards and can NOT be mixed, hybrids, or produce offspring that aren't pure when paired with another Ameracuana.

Thanks!
Looks like a colorfull flock!

Looks like a colorfull flock!
Absolutely. We also have a white leghorn, 2 red sex-links, and a black cochin bantam. They are so fun.

#1 is not a BO. Buffs have white legs, as yours has yellow. Looks like a mix to me, but attractive bird.
#2 looks like a Barred Cochin cockerel, as you said.
not sure about the others..
Well, whatever she is, she's a great little bird, and we love her.

Thank you for the input. I'm off to browse the rest of the forum.

Wow, not really sure why I didn't think of the bird in the first picture's breed. It's a buff rock. Duh!
gig.gif

Nice birds and great layers.

Thank you.
I'm curious about her gender now, as I have noticed her comb turning pink, and small wattles developing. Is this normal for a 4.5 week pullet?

(^^that suspicious look cracks me up!)

That "suspicious" look cracks me up too! Cutest face chickens make!
big_smile.png

Now that you mention it, little pullet might be a Mr. Looks like a cockerel to me. I'd hang on to him, though, even if it is a cockerel. Rocks turn out to be very docile roos.
Where did you get him from?

Back
Top Bottom