New and planning for hens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nicole63021, Mar 8, 2013.

1. nicole63021

nicole63021 Chillin' With My Peeps

First let me say hi to everyone on BYC! I'm new here and am new to keeping chickens, but have ordered 5 hens for mid June delivery to give myself the time to get a coop and run in order. I am planning a 15'x10' fully enclosed run with a fully covered top with a height dropping from 7' on the front to 6' on the back. I want to do a raised coop (with a dust bathing area under) of 4'x6', but am wondering if this will be enough space in the coop for the hens. Also, I have planned ventilation at the top of the coop, but wonder if I also need a window for more summer ventilation. The hens will be spending a fair amount of time in the run as well, being let into the yard an hour or so on week days, and for most of the day when off of work and I can supervise them (we have hawks, eagles, and two species of owls patrolling near the yard), so will 15'x10' be large enough? Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me, I just want to be sure the hens will be happy and healthy.

2. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    First off welcome to BYC! And YAY!!! chicks!! lol

4x6 coop floor space is perfect for 5 hens, really if you wanted you could add one more, each bird would still have 4 sq of floor space.

Your run sounds like it would be perfect for your birds as well.

A extra window might be a good idea, it will allow light into the coop and give the girls a nice little view, and yes it you be good for extra vent in the summer.

All in all i think it is large enough for your birds.

3. lesgo54

lesgo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    spencer, tn
    WELCOME TO BYC.THE SIZE COOP U ARE PLANNING WILL BE FINE FOR THE 5 HENS U PLAN TO GET. IM FAIRLY NEW HERE MYSELF. IN FACT I JUST ORDERED THE HARDWARE CLOTH FOR MY COOP/RUN YESTURDAY. TODAY I MOVED DIRT TO LEVEL THE AREA OFF SO I CAN START WITH THE BLOCK WORK. MY COOP/RU WILL BE 8X14 AND I PLAN TO HAVE 8-10 HENS

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You might want to go bigger than that for the coop if they'll be spending the majority of their time in there.

The 4sqft coop and 10sqft run is rule of thumb, some flocks will do OK with that space and some need more, the more room the better...... to avoid squabbles, minimize sanitary maintenance and reduce the possiblity of health issues.

You neeed ventilation up top for the hot humid air to escape and venitlation down low to provide fresh air.
    Where are you located?

5. nicole63021

nicole63021 Chillin' With My Peeps

They will spend most of their time in the run, not the coop itself. I am in St. Louis so summer and winter are concerns, but have chosen breeds that are hardy. That is why I had questioned adding a window that could be opened in summer for extra ventilation, or if it wouldn't really be worth it. Thank you for all the responses so far!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by