New and scared to death!

katie a

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 1, 2010
I've never had a pet and although I have lots of children, I don't know anything about keeping animals. So this is my first attempt to raise chickens along with the established kids.

We have 2 Barred Rocks, 1 Rhode Island Red, and one that I'm not sure about. Maybe an Ancona. I'll have to wait until it gets bigger to see because the staff at the feed store was not very knowledgeable. Or maybe someone here can ID it.

I live in Arizona where it is still plenty warm, so I think I'm in good shape keeping the little girls warm.

I can't get the pics to upload, so I'm putting my blog link here. If it's not okay to link, moderators, please delete it.

I can't wait to get smart about chickens through BYC. Thank you all!

jumpy.gif

Welcome to BYC from The Pampered Pullets Farm in Ocala, FL
D.gif

Now, take a deep breath. Raising a few birds is actually pretty simple. There is a ton of good information on here and don't let any of the fuddy duddies discourage you.
You are hooked up with BYC so you are off to a good start.

CUTE chicks! The one on the left in bottom pic looks like my phoenix did as babies, is the yellow one in the pic ameraucana? I am very new to chicks too, but you have lots to learn as I do everyday
smile.png

It could be an Ameraucana. I heard that name, then another store clerk told me something else. I was hoping it's not because I think the breed chart here lists it as only a "medium" layer. However, it's supposed to be a nice chicken, so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Thanks.

welcome....pm me anytime... It isn't solving the world economic troubles ..It is chickens... Enjoy the ride!!

If you haven't already, I'd suggest you go to index then frequently asked questions, and browse.

Feel free to post a thread if you have a question; we were all new to this at some point!

Welcome Katy a! I am also from Arizona and yes the trouble here at least for now is keeping them from getting too hot. I am also new to raising chicks. I jumped in with both feet. I have 18 meaties (butchering chickens) and 9 assorted "girls". They will all be 6 weeks old this next Tuesday. I can see from your blog that you aren't going to have any problem with taming your chicks. I handle my hens a lot and they are all tame. Some, due to personality, more than others but all come running expecting to be held. Have fun with your chicks and I would be happy to help in any way that I can. There are a lot of Arizona people here. Just search Arizona and it will take you to our thread. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom