1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New at hatching!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fussy8, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Fussy8

Fussy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    Hi there i know i have posted alot about this subject but i am new and want to do this perfect all the way home!! My hen is naturally laying on eggs do i need to flip them [​IMG] and do i need to candle them as well [​IMG] ? If i move them will it kill them to be shuffled around a lot?! Thanks for dealing with my obsessive questions!! Thanks guys! [​IMG]

2. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Calm down this is not hard.... No you don't flip them, you store them point down and then tilt them 45 deg to one side then the other. I think you need to do that a min of 3-4 times a day... not sure on that. I have a turner and it works 6 times a day. You don't have to candle them but it is fun to see what is going on. You may not be able to see through some eggs. EE can be hard and dark eggs like Marans are hard to see in. Don't candle and egg over the others... if you drop it you would just lose one if you are over the other eggs you will lose more. I would not handle them more than you have to and make sure your hands are clean.

I just re-read that do you have a broody? She will take care of everything if she sticks with it. You could candle but most don't with a broody. She might kick out the bad eggs. I think it is best to leave her alone and let her do her thing. The more you bother her the more likely she is to give up IMHO

There is a thread for broody info

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=457488&p=1

3. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    You do not need to turn the eggs, as the hen will do that herself.
    I don't candle the eggs when my broodies are setting on them, the less she's bothered, the
    better IMO. However, It will not hurt the eggs to be candled a couple times during the first 18
    days of incubation, so if you wanted to, you could. Be gentle when you move them, and there
    will be no worries.

Best of luck [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

If your hen is setting, you need to do nothing. She will take care of everything.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree, your broody will take care of the eggs. She will get off the nest for a few minutes now and then to eat, drink and poop. Good luck... [​IMG]

6. Fussy8

Fussy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    thank you guys so much! That makes me feel much better and thank you for the support!! [​IMG]

7. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    I do lift my broodies once a day to see if there are any new eggs under them, since the rest of my flock shares the same nesting boxes. They peck at me a little but not hard. I notice the 2 broodies shift nests so I know they get off to eat. I marked the originals with a marker and I remove any of the new eggs. I have not candled or moved any of the original eggs. I figure the hens know what they're doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by