New at hatching!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gina4animals, Sep 7, 2008.

1. gina4animals

gina4animals Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Salida, CO
    OK, in all the hundreds of posts here I still cant find the answer to this question:
    How do I care for our fertile eggs while collecting enough to put them into the incubator all at the same time? I get about 7 per day, but am only interested in collecting the larger ones.
    How long can I collect them? Where do I keep them (temperature, conditions etc) while collecting. Do I need to turn them during this time period?
    Do I start the 21 day count on the day I collect them or the day I start them in the bator?
    Any information you can give me (be specific - I am new) will be greatly appreciated!

2. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    You should keep eggs you are holding to hatch in a cool, humid place, I can't remember the exact numbers, but I'm sure someone here can fill them in i want to say in the 50-60 degree range and really high humidity (like 70 or 80 percent, but someone may correct me on that). You should turn them three times a day while you wait, and you start counting from the day you put them all in the incubator. Eggs stay good for 7 to 10 days before hatchability begins to fall much. hope this helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by