New At Raising Chicken

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TXFarmFun, Mar 4, 2007.

1. TXFarmFun

TXFarmFun Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2007
    Argyle, TX
    Hello All! This will be my first try at raising chickens and naturally I have a few questions. I decided to build my own brooder box as I have lots of scrap wood (and also because it was a good excuse to get out the power tools). I read that cedar is toxic to chickens so my box is made of standard framing and plywood. It's interior dimensions are 4ft long by 2 1/2ft wide. It is about 20 inches high with a screen that slides in over the top. I have 10 chicks (9 pullets 1 rooster) that are due to ship out wednesday so I still have time for plenty of adjustments. Will this size brooder be ok long term (until the chicks are ready for their coop)? Also, are crushed corn cobs a good litter or would I be better off using something else??? My test run of the cage is going well and I am able to keep the temp at one end of the cage steady at 91 degrees. My Set up is as follows, two corner feeders; one small bowl of water; 2 120 watt heat lamps, and crushed corn cob litter. Is there anything I need to add/change/remove??? I will try and post a picture later when I figure out how to attach it. Any and all suggestions/tips/advice are welcome... Thanks!!!

2. TheBigWRanch

TheBigWRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    Make sure to cover the corn cobs for the first week with paper towels so the chicks can't eat them. After that time they will learn what their food is, and not try to eat so much of the corn cob. I've never used corn cob, so I can't tell you if it is a good idea or not. You should probably add a little canary grit to their food in case they eat any.

3. I_Love_Chickens

I_Love_Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2007
    Enid, Ok
    For a couple dollars you can get a huge bag of pine shavings at wal mart but I bet any petstore or farm supply. But walmart always has them back in the pet section. Its for any pets from hamsters to birds. It works great and absorbs moisture really well. Its what the local farm supply here used. They have chickens at our Atwoods (don't know if its a chain throughout the U.S. or just oklahoma) but yeah the chicks are in a large metal cattle water thing that has pine shavings at the bottom so I bought some and they work great. Chicks are easy to take care of so don't worry too much. [​IMG] I just got my 1st bunch too. I got the same number, 10. ha. So yeah my chicks love to be held and pet and they fall asleep in your hands. If you hold them put a towel over your chest or in your lap because they poop everytime you hold them. ha. Just some advice. I've learned it the hard way though. ha. So yup chicks are lots of fun. And as far as the heat, its recommended that you place the heat lamp at one end and you use a 250 watt light. It can be a red light or white, they used a white lamp for the chicks at the supply here, they are cheaper anyways. So yeah you put the light on one side so they can choose to be on the heat side or on the other side of the cage. As far as the cage, yours sounds awesome. I had a friend that used a heavy, oversized cardboard box, so thats what I did and it saved me sooo much money. But it sounds like your being resourceful too so it sounds like its not costing you too much. [​IMG] As far as whenever you get your chicken run started, you'll hear it from several people that chicken wire simply doesn't cut it. I've read several horror stories of racoons reaching through them and attacking chickens. So that thicker wire with the little tiny squares is what your supposed to use. It costs a little more but i'd rather do that than have my chickens end up dead or injured. [​IMG] So good luck with your chicks. I have a myspace page for my chicks. My camera on my palm pilot stinks so i'll have to post better pics on there later but my myspace page is: www.myspace.com/nateschicks Its pretty cute.

4. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    Be careful with any kinda wood shavings, cobs, etc., young' uns can become impacted pretty easily. Covered with paper towels such as suggested by theBigWRanch is a great idea. I've even read of adult fowl getting compacted because they take to eating the shavings. A friend of mine always used corn cob in his brooders because of their ability to absorb moisture(poo) unlike wood shavings. Just be prepared to clean and replace the shavings in your brooder while the chicks grow. The size should be ok, depending on the size of chickens you are getting. Good luck and don't forget to show off some pics.

CB

5. TXFarmFun

TXFarmFun Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2007
    Argyle, TX
    Thanks for all your suggestions guys! i think i will try pine shavings. Will be sure to let you know how it goes when they arrive.

6. treehouse

treehouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    North Dallas
    Wow this is an old post but it has Txfarmfun (argyle-tx neighbor in it) and I am glad to NOW know that cedar is toxic?!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by