New at raising quails and have many questions!

natyvidal

Songster
5 Years
Mar 1, 2018
Dade City, Florida
Hi everyone! I am not new at raisin fowl; but yes at raising quails. The specific breed I am planing to raise is cotornix. All my birds free range! Are well cared for and are happy go lucky fowls. I like to provide as natural environment for them as possible.
Therefore, I want my quails to enjoy the same. So here are my questions.

1. Is it true that quail do not do well if on the ground?
2. Do I have to keep them off the ground? In cages?
2. Someone mentioned that coccidiosis was extremely dangerous to them, so being on the ground would be a no?
3. Can’t they be treated for cocci annually just like the rest of the flock?
4. Can’t I make a special walk in “quail santuary”, with an area with grass, small bushes, shelter where they can live and multiply? I can make it mobile!
5. I am planning to only harvest their eggs. Not to eat them.

My biggest concern is coccidiosis. If the quail can be treated yearly for it like the rest of my flock, I don’t see why they need to be up in cages of the ground.

All observations and suggestions are welcomed. Thank you ahead of time! 🤗🙏

:welcome
Hello and welcome to BackYard Chickens! :jumpy Glad you joined. Everyone here is very kind and helpful :)
I see that you've already posted in the quail section, and I'm sure you'll get plenty of help soon

1, I keep my quail on the ground. They do great. I have 20 coturnix, 16 female and 4 male, in a 4x8 ground pen.
2.see number 1
3. I don' treat my chicken or guinea flock annually for cocci. I have had my quail a few months but don't plan to preventative treat them either
4. Here is a link to my "quaiviary" build. It is deep litter, and works quite nicely.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/users/tre3hugger.560093/
5. I also only harvest eggs. I have been pickling them and making a killing with them $$!

If cocci is a problem in your flocks and the quail will be sharing ground with other birds poop, maybe treating preventatively is a good idea. I think if you manage manure well though cocci shouldn't be too much of an issue. My quail and chicken are separated by only HWC outside and so far no problems.

Some random quaiviary and quail pics
I built this 8x4 lean to for the quail on the side of my chicken/rabbit barn.

20210329_185143.jpg

Deep litter started with dirt and leaves underneath and a few bags of un dyed wood mulch on top. Approximately every 3 weeks I turn the earth and add some organic material. Sod, leaves, wood chippings from saw milling etc. So far there is no noticeable smell.
20210329_185504.jpg

I added a bunch of hemlock boughs inside and outside for ground cover and enrichment and to try and emulate the forest floor they live in.
20210610_103232.jpg

I use horizontal nipples and feed 20% all flock crumbles.
20210403_183115.jpg

20210403_183035.jpg

They appreciate a dry dirt bath
20210409_171547.jpg

I have really enjoyed keeping them. Any more questions feel free to ask!
20210610_103229.jpg

This is my quail aviary, so far so good. The bedding I use is hay, but they do like to dig it up every once in a while and dust bathe in the soil, not really the sand I give them. They are doing good so far, but I only started owning quail recently. And we only have 6.

Attachments

• CC7C563A-BC3E-4400-8BFC-225569B5EA08.jpeg
    CC7C563A-BC3E-4400-8BFC-225569B5EA08.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27

Back
Top Bottom