:/ new at this help??

Ambam

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 28, 2009
hi, today i went and bought some fertilised chickens eggs, when i got them i noticed they where stone cold, i have since warmed them up and put them in the incubator with "henny"(fake knitted hen - thats mums for you) they are warmed up now but i i think they are still only on day one if they are fertilised, what can i expect from candling or should i wait untill "day 6" when i should see something
help?
hmm.png

I candle mine when I put them in the bator , one cause I like candleing eggs , two cause i then have a base point to start at when it comes to things changeing, and three to see if the air cell is in the normal place and attached, I candle at day 4/5 and then at 7 and then again at 10, and 18 , I love to see them grow , I can see babies and or viens in alot of my day 4 or 5s but there are some I cant see much till day 10, so if you do candle early be gental with the eggs , wash youre hands first and make shure you dont cull eggs beacuse you cant see much in them early , they can surprise you.
Good luck

Quote:
Always let the eggs set in egg cartons and warm up to room temps before placing them in an incubator. Fertilized eggs will not show veining or an embryo til day 7 or 10 with you candle.

Edit to add: if you are a novice to candling and don't know what your looking for 7 or day 10 is best.

Last edited:
thanks, i've pretty much figured they where layed today, they still have feathers and straw on them, should i give them a gentle wile off so they are clean?

thanks, i've pretty much figured they where layed today, they still have feathers and straw on them, should i give them a gentle wile off so they are clean?

thanks for all of your help, also, hopefully my last question, how long after hatching and what should i feed them?

Chicks will be fine in an incubator til your hatch is complete, I wouldn't leave them any longer than day 2, (they can and do live off their yolk sac they have absorbed at hatching time for up to 3 days) that's when my hatches are usually finished. They will need a brooder box to be kept in, heat lamp for warmth, fresh water and food (chick starter/grower). Paper towels work well on the bottom of the brooder to keep chicks stable on their feet.

Back
Top Bottom