New babies..Any ideas what kind??

scalaway

Songster
12 Years
May 6, 2008
Ohio
Hello
smile.png
-- Just got our "mix" from McMurray...wondering if you might have any ideas what our girls might be? We ordered the "rainbow layer" mix. Meaning we've got all hens--and they'll lay colored eggs..white, browns, hopefully some colors as well
smile.png
! They're pretty little things--just don't know what they are
smile.png
-- we've scanned the catalog and I guess no picture represents a breed exactly--Anyways--There are a few really pretty ones with leopard like stripes on the faces and back..all are healthy--that's what's important, but we're anxious to find out what they are
smile.png
! ! Thanks for your insight
yippiechickie.gif

100_2845.jpg

100_2858.jpg

100_2861.jpg

100_2854.jpg

I am really new to chickens, but my chicks came from McMurray as well and I've spent a lot of time looking at pics trying to figure out my Mystery Chick so I'll give this a go...

You definitely, 100% have some EEs/Ameraucanas in there, those are the ones with the eyeliner and chipmkunk stripes on their back. Feel free to check my blog (entries with little babies start on Feb. 9th, link in my signature) for pics of mine for comparison.

Also, I believe you have some silver-laced Wyandottes, click here for McMurray's pic on their site.

And I would venture a guess that the red ones are Rhode Island Reds, though I don't really know.

The rest are a mystery to me, but I'm sure others will chime in on this.

Good luck with your cuties!

Last edited:
Your so much braver than me. The idea of not knowing would drive me nuts. Good luck on the breeds. Beautiful chicks.

Looks like you have a few EEs, a few GLW and SLW, and a few RIRs... The last pic looks to be a cochin or something like it, but I am very stumped on the witish-gray ones. Maybe someone else can chime in who has a guess on them.

ETA: could be some BRs and a Leghorn in the mix too. I think some individual pics of the chicks would help.
smile.png

Last edited:
Awesome
smile.png
-- I was hopping for some EE's
smile.png
!! I'll try to get some individual pic's to post for some of the others...it's making me crazy not knowing what they are
smile.png
! They said they could be any--from the "rare" assortment to the heavy breeds --so who knows!! I think we have some wyandotte's too...we've had them before, they looked familiar
wink.png
-- We'll see!! Thanks for the help! I'm going to try to get some better pic's today and tomorrow--I'll post as soon as I get them -- They're so cute..my kids are really enjoying them
smile.png
---I'm excited to see them grow up! Love my chickens :0)

I'm seeing a brown leghorn in there, in the second picture. It's the little brown with with a brown stripe by its eye, near the water. The little grayish-yellow ones are silver-spangled hamburgs, there's one standing near the brown leghorn, and two right up front in that picture. I think I'm seeing 7 hamburgs in that picture. My mom had 9 in her rainbow layers from McMurray, and I had 5 in my last rainbow layers. They like to put them in that assortment, I think.

I see two Rhode Island reds, and I'm not sure what else. There are likely to be some Easter eggers in there, and a white leghorn.

How fun, keep us posted with pics!

Back
Top Bottom