new babies question please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Grand-hen-ma, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    This past weekend 6 eggs hatched. )This is the first time I have hatched eggs) I have my new babies in a small pen I made but I have one of those triangle nurseries I got from a feed store. I was wondering how old the babies need to be before I can put them into the nursery? The nursery will be kept in the large pen with all my other hens. And how old do the chicks need to be before I let them out with the rest of the girls?

One of my chicks has a problem with one of it's legs. Can chicks break a leg while they are trying to hatch? Or maybe this is just a deformity?

Any help is appreciated

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Does your brooder have a cover? I would not want to put them in with other chickens without them being secured from pecking. Also, will they have a heat source until they are fully feathered?

I generally integrate slowly. I take them out to the coop at 5-6 weeks and then leave them in a secured area/pen until at least a week goes by. I then let them out during the day to range with everyone and at night lock them up separately again. I do this for about 2-3 weeks or until I feel they are acquainted and accepted.
    Generally, the rule of thumb is to slowly integrate and not until they are of equal size.My chickens have adapted to me integrating and have never hurt any new birds.But each flock is different. I have a substantial sized flock and they are used to me doing this right from when they were chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by