New baby chick hatched by bantie hen, do you take the chick away?

Marcie

Hatching
11 Years
Jul 4, 2008
I have had two chickens born, one last night that died and one this morning. Both have been hatched by our bantam hen, she has about 12 eggs underneath her.

The new little one is doing well but do I need to remove it from under the Mom and put it in a seperate box with a heat lamp, food and water or is it OK to leave with the hen?

Congrats on hatch!
I would leave it with mom and just keep an eye on it.
Don't forget to post some pics when you get a chance.
thumbsup.gif

She's still sitting on eggs? She can't incubate and raise chicks. She has to get off the nest to take the chick to food and water and out to explore. In that time the eggs will get cold. Or she'll stay on the nest to sit the eggs while the chick starves. Chicks can survive 2 or 3 days after hatching without food or water but if the eggs aren't all due to hatch in that time you'll either have to remove the early chicks or remove the eggs and put them in an incubator. A lone chick would do better left with the hen or if you have to remove it see if you can get a coupe chicks from somewhere else. They get very lonely and some people have trouble raising them without companions.

Back
Top Bottom