New baby chick is a bully--relentless pecking at EYES!

I think she's doing better tonight. I was down there with them all out going about my business for a while and I didn't hear the shriek of tortured chicks. I'll double check before bed. It's a real pain having one chick in "chick jail."
Hoping they all integrate well!

So far so good...was down there another 30 minutes and couldn't pick out the offender!! Hopefully, she's been put in her place!!

First-timer here. I'm having a similar issue, only I have a two day old chick going around and pecking at the other chicks beaks. Some get a dot of blood from it. I'm using an eco glow brooder, so don't know how to isolate and allow chick under the brooder. Brooder is large, food and water available. The pecking was really bad when they first got home yesterday and has since gotten way better - I think it was from stress of traveling. I kept the brooder dark and quiet all day and not a peep in the dark all night. But I just looked and saw a chick going around and pecking - the bully. Does anyone have suggestion on how to isolate in this setup? Any photos? Thanks!

Omg. I'm so happy to see this. I'm a chickie newbie and just got 8 babies that were shipped to me yesterday. One of them is so mean. She goes after the others eyes the will not let go. She was in time out for the night and all she did was "peck peck peck" at the clear plastic of her brooder box. (The side facing the others.) I felt so bad for her but I didn't want her (or him) to hurt or kill anyone. I hope they're better soon. Good luck to all the chickie babies out there.

Just an update... Looks like they're getting along better for the time being. Will continue to keep an eye on them. Saw one peck another's eye but nothing too serious (!)

my above wet chick ended up in a mag, that is her in the cup and with eyes closed.

yeah chicks get curious for something to eat. eyes are wet, so the chick is rewarded if they pecked by fluids, you could try putting food out and poke it with your finger, saying "lok,lok,lok" that is how a mom gets babies to eat, plus dip the beak in water. the will forget eyes after a bit.

Back
Top Bottom