New baby chicks from Ideal but some were missing

slaird61

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 20, 2010
After a month of waiting my new chicks finally came in last week but 2 were dead and 4 were missing. 3 of the missing chicks were Egyptian Fayoumis (which were the breed I was most excited about) and 1 was a Silver Laced Polish. I called Ideal and they were very apologetic and offered to refund my money or send replacement chicks. I opted for the replacement chicks since I really want my Fayoumis. They should arrive on Friday with males for warmth. What do you think happened to missing chicks? Do you think they were just not boxed or do you think they escaped in a post office somewhere and died?
sad.png
How many males do you think they will send? I don't really know what I'm going to do with all those males. Below is a list of the chicks I did recieve that are all healthy and adorable and some photos!
big_smile.png
Some of these chicks are going to be sold and some have already been sold. I'm only keeping some of them.

1 Egyptian Fayoumi Pullet
2 Silver Laced Polish
3 Golden Laced Polish
3 Ancona Pullets
5 Ideal 236 Pullets
7 Barred Rock Pullets (sold)
10 Production Red Pullets
3 Buff Orpington Pullets
3 Brown Sex Link Pullets (sold and aren't in the photos)
3 Black Sex Link Pullets (sold and aren't in the photos)
3 Red Sex Link Pullets (sold and aren't in the photos)
3 Gold Sex Link Pullets (sold and aren't in the photos)

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

Fayoumi

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

Chances are they just made a mistake when packing your chicks for shipping. I've dealt with ideal in the past and they're very professional. I highly doubt any of your guys made an escape at the post office. They'll probably send you the 4 they forgot, 2 replacements and 14-19 packing peanuts for warmth.

I actually had someone steal chicks from a box I sent to CA a couple years ago. When the buyer arrived to pick them up at the post office, the lid was bent up and there were 3-4 birds missing. I filed a claim with the post office.

pips&peeps :

I actually had someone steal chicks from a box I sent to CA a couple years ago. When the buyer arrived to pick them up at the post office, the lid was bent up and there were 3-4 birds missing. I filed a claim with the post office.

Yep, that happens too

The nerve of people

Xoxoxo​

The people at Ideal were very professional and helpful. I have no complaints against them. I'm glad they likely just forgot the 4 chicks because I would hate to think something bad happened to them in transit. I hope I get as few "packing peanuts" as possible. What breeds are the packing peanuts usually?

regarding the packing peanuts - i ended up cancelling a replacement order from Ideal because we'd have had about 10-15 of them and I didn't want to deal with a 2nd brooder. However, I accidentally left up some craigslist ads trying to give them away, and the day after cancelling I had 3 separate people offering to take them all - not even knowing the breeds or amount. So, seems like it isn't that hard to get rid of them! Good luck! I'd also assume Ideal just forgot to pack them.

Was the box open or did it look like someone tampered with it? If not, then it's probably a packing mistake. You did right by contacting the hatchery. Your chicks are so absolutely adorable! I can't wait for ours to arrive... 17 days and counting!

You don't have to get the 'packing peanuts' just call after you place your order, and tell them to add insurance to your order. Its just $1.75 for the entire order, not per chick. That way you only get the chicks you order. They just stuff extra bedding in. I ordered 12 and 12 arrived safe and sound.

To the OP, there is probably not any way they got out. The holes on the box were tiny, I doubt their head would have fit in, and they probably wouldn't be able to jump that high yet. I'd say they were just left out.

Back
Top Bottom