New baby chicks

Sapphireladiesx2

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2018
we had one of our hens go broody and she ended up stealing a eggs from our other 22 hens before we found her. So we let her keep and hatch her few eggs, she hatched 3, 1 died, 2 are great and we put the egg she abandoned in incubator and that chick is working on busting out right now. So out of our 22 hens we have I’m curious as to what these chicks will be, 1 is yellow and I’ve already determined it is out of the light Brahma roo we have but I’m not sure of the hen. The other chick is black mainly with some white and silver, assuming it is from the Australorp roo we have. My question is would it be possible to be able to tell what breed of hen on these chicks? I have a variety of hens that include barred rocks, buff Orpington, australorp, sapphire gems, golden comets, Rhode Island reds and Asians. My Roos are light Brahma and australorp.

Attachments

• AAD5FA1A-CB3E-471D-B9A1-F78D1F970AD1.jpeg
    AAD5FA1A-CB3E-471D-B9A1-F78D1F970AD1.jpeg
    843 KB · Views: 11
we had one of our hens go broody and she ended up stealing a eggs from our other 22 hens before we found her. So we let her keep and hatch her few eggs, she hatched 3, 1 died, 2 are great and we put the egg she abandoned in incubator and that chick is working on busting out right now. So out of our 22 hens we have I’m curious as to what these chicks will be, 1 is yellow and I’ve already determined it is out of the light Brahma roo we have but I’m not sure of the hen. The other chick is black mainly with some white and silver, assuming it is from the Australorp roo we have. My question is would it be possible to be able to tell what breed of hen on these chicks? I have a variety of hens that include barred rocks, buff Orpington, australorp, sapphire gems, golden comets, Rhode Island reds and Asians. My Roos are light Brahma and australorp.

Oh my goodness they look so great with new mama:love

I'm a bit confused, are you asking the breed of the broody hen? if so I would say barred rock for sure :D
No, she is definitely barred rock. I was asking if there will be any way to tell what hens the chicks came from? The barred rock hen stole those eggs from our other hens but I don’t know who she stole them from.

So the barred rock hen will only pass the white dot on to the rooster chicks??? What would a solid black chick be? We were able to hatch an egg that she abandoned and it is a solid black chick with brown on its face.

Attachments

• 166FE80A-6162-4366-A952-3E15CFFA2A5B.jpeg
    166FE80A-6162-4366-A952-3E15CFFA2A5B.jpeg
    476 KB · Views: 3
I’m curious as to what these chicks will be, 1 is yellow and I’ve already determined it is out of the light Brahma roo we have but I’m not sure of the hen. The other chick is black mainly with some white and silver, assuming it is from the Australorp roo we have. My question is would it be possible to be able to tell what breed of hen on these chicks? I have a variety of hens that include barred rocks, buff Orpington, australorp, sapphire gems, golden comets, Rhode Island reds and Asians. My Roos are light Brahma and australorp.
So hard to tell when you have hybrids. The little black one looks just like my Black Copper Marans. But again, hard to tell with hybrids. you will probably have to wait until they are grown to see what they look like before you can tell - if even then. Attached is a pic of my Barred rock chick (Margaret)- with the light dot on her head and my Black Copper Marans chick with the light belly (Henrietta). I also have pics of the chicks in the mama cave- just cause I am proud of them lol.

Attachments

• IMG_9511.jpg
    IMG_9511.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9518.jpg
    IMG_9518.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9500.jpg
    IMG_9500.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9502.jpg
    IMG_9502.jpg