new baby with something wrong with its legs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by andrea98, Sep 24, 2009.

1. andrea98

andrea98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    it cant stand. its toes are all curled in & its like the legs wont unbend all the way. what do i do for it?????

2. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    I just looked at a thread for splints etc for leg problems....I'll see if I can find it but you may want to put splint in the search box and see what pops up......

3. happychickmom

happychickmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2009
    SE Louisiana
    Here is the thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=51112

My
    chick had curled toes on both feet and could only sit and walk on her hocks. With the boots, she was walking within a few hours, and now, at 4 months old, she gets around just like everybody else.[​IMG]

ETA: We took the boots off after about three days. A couple of her toes are still crooked, but she has walked, run, scratched and perched just fine ever since that third day. Some people leave the boots on for a week or so. Just remember, you'll have to change them every couple of days or so because they get feed stuck between the toes and the cardboard.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  4. andrea98

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    ty ty off to make some booties for my baby...

5. fldiver97

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
  6. andrea98

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    ok got the lil boots on , but i believe it has spraddle ?? leg they go out to the sides..how do you bring them together?

7. fldiver97

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Quote:Same link above has info on other leg problems too.....

8. dianer29

dianer29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    I have a Silkie. She and the rest of the flock are 4 weeks old. She is the smallest one in the flock ,however she gets/takes the biggest bite out of a piece of banana and uses her size to scoot between her towering brood mates. I noticed she waddles a bit I looked at her to see if anything different or odd about feet. or legs legs I do not see anything. She poops and breathes fine.She is the only waddler. It is a mystery to me why she is waddling and as I indicated she moves quickly when she wants/needs to as I see everyday. I do notice she is the first to lie down for the naps /rest they take day and night.
    I am trying to hold her next to my heart to give her comfort . I do not know if she hurts.............. A little extra lovin and attention is good for all of them. She still shakes a bit when I hold her in my hand ,she calms a bit when she listens to me talk to her in soft tones , but goes back to being scared again. I take her out first before the others at cleaning and socializing times as some of the Silkies "3" to be exact go in their "do not eat me mode" . My movements are not swift . I do know that occasionally the shadow of me scares them. I figure this: I only had them a month and we are moving along ,getting to know each other and hopefully learning to trust me. Does anyone have a waddler like my Little Papaya or perhaps know what she is exhibiting?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  9. andrea98

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    im sorry i have no clue this is the first time i have had any one hatch with any thing wrong with them. i do have boots on it but as far as the spraddle leg i tried some gauze but it may be too much ...good luck with your baby

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by