New backyard keeper needing encouragement

NorCalBackyardFlock

In the Brooder
May 22, 2021
I am new to backyard chickens this year. Out if my original 6 growouts that I started off with, I have lost 4 — 1 was smoothered to death, one was overcome in extreme heat, and two have died from some sort of respiratory infection. That said, I want to persevere through this awful learning curve! I know better now how to prevent the circumstances that lead to the first two losses, but I am really struggling with how to deal with chicken illness. Are they more likely to die from any sort of infection when they are below a certain age? Are there certain breeds that seem to be more resilient to respiratory infections? Does anybody out there have a story of starting off really badly like I have, but persisted and is maintaining a good, healthy flock now? Thanks!

Yes, you’re nasty experience resembles that of me a lot. I bought my first 6 old chicks from a hobby farmer. Of the first group of 4 two died quit suddenly. I never knew why. The hobby farmer said he didn’t know and I could get two new chicks for half the price, and I ended up with 3 new ones.
After some weeks it seemed I had 3 cockerels. But I had a guarantee for girls and I could trade them for 4 younger chicks. They didn’t get along with the older chicks (pecking) and I didn't know they had to adept to each other with a fence in between.

After a few days one chick disappeared through the fence. The holes where too big. Probably she was taken by a cat. Another new chick didn’t grow well and died too after a few months.
So that year I bought 11 chicks, 4 died and 3 where returned cockerels. Ended with 4 (3 hens and a cockerel).

To be continued…

Last edited:
Are you in the US?
If so...are you aware that there are state labs that will perform a necropsy to tell you exactly which disease you were dealing with.

Knowing exactly which disease you are dealing with will help you to make decisions for your future birds.

Sometimes it is better to cull the entire flock and start over with new disease free birds.

Sorry... welcome to BYC and now I notice your username...which seems like you are in California and they actually have a couple of state labs that charge only $20, if I'm not mistaken.

Continuing …

I really didn’t know what to do with chicks getting sick and this pecking order. And I started to read a lot about keeping chickens.

The second year was a whole lot better. I had broodies and they hatched 8 chicks. They got a cold (sneezing) but got over it witout medicines. 2 didn’t survive bc of a rat. 3 turned out to be cockerels and had to leave but the 3 girls could stay. The rooster and the cockerels went to a sexed large flock with only hens.

After that spring (1 year of having chickens) all the troubles disappeared. I had these 6 girls for approx 6 years without any problems. 3 of them are still with me.
After 7 years the flock changed. But I had no death chicks after that first year.
I have 7 girls and one cockerel now. And I still love having chickens in my backyard and collecting fresh eggs most days (old hens don’t lay much). So dont give up too soon. There will be a day that it’ll be easier!

Back
Top Bottom