New Barred Rock and Rhode Island Red help

pinkbokchoi

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 3, 2011
I just got my first two baby chicks (both hens) about a week ago, one Barred Rock and one Rhode Island Red. They were probably 1-2 weeks old when I bought them. I was wondering how fast one should grow relative to the other, because while the Barred Rock has been growing quickly, the RIR hasn't seemed to grow at all. They were pretty similar in size when I got them, but now the BR is around 4 inches long while the RIR is maybe 2.5-3 inches long. Both are pretty active and do eat/drink, but the RIR is almost always chirping, even when "sleeping", while the BR lies down to sleep. Is this normal or should I be adding anything to the RIR's diet? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My RIR grew at the same rate as her 2 other flock mates(dark brahma and EE). However, my SS was very tiny(bantam size) and didn't grow much at all even though she is a standard. She is slowly catching up, but I think she will be on the smaller side. My SS is 9/10 weeks old.

I do give my girls probiotics(probiotics), vitamins(poly-vi-sol), and apple cider vinegar in their water. I added the vitamins and ACV ever since the big respiratory illness they went through. I've been giving probios since day one. All my chicks feathered early and fast. Actually, the big girls feathers are very shiny and glisten/shimmer in the sun.

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna try to start the chicks on ACV and give a few drops of Poly-vi-sol to the smaller one. If Barred Rocks are supposed to be bigger than maybe I shouldn't be worrying about it so much.

rocks grow very fast. that's why they're crossed with cornish: to make a large, fast growing meat bird. RIRs are one of those breeds that don't grow fast at all. it's just the breeding, so don't worry
smile.png
good luck with your new babies and
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom