New batch of chicks, and "My Plan"

yinzerchick

Songster
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
E.Texas
So, I have 30 three week old chicks in the brooder. I have 7, two month olds that were raised by a broody hen in the coop with the old flock. (22 hens, all just over a year) Chicken math at work!!
smile.png

I put up a second coop, and plan to have the run connected to the other coops run, with a 6ft. gate so I can get back and forth between them.
I free range during the day and put everyone up in the coop at night.
My plan is to put my 2 month olds into the new coop and run,(as soon as it's read, which should be this week) with the chicks that are still in the brooder. After the 2 months old are adapted to the new coop, I'm hoping to let them back out to free range during the day, and the plan is, hopefully they'll return to the new coop.
Does anyone have any thoughts about this, and how or what, I can do to make this transaction as painless as possible? The 2 month olds are being bullied since the broody that hatched and raised them has decided she's done now. Fortunately, the 2 month olds are Jersey Giants, and are almost as big as some of the older hens now.
I just hate all the unrest and bickering in the flock now, since my roo is gone (about a month now) and the chicks are now on their own.
Another question, I think 2 of the 2 month olds are roosters. Will they eventually get to be "the roosters" or will they forever be too young to control the older hens? I'm hoping the older hens don't decide they want to be in the new coop!
Chickens....
he.gif
Just when I think I got them figured out...

One or both of the roos will become "the roo" when they are big enough; age difference won't matter. For the rest of it, I don't think there's any predicting, they will work it out their own way.

Back
Top Bottom