New- be chicken owner :)

beccybumbles

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 22, 2012
hi all, i have just started caring for 2 warren chickens! i have so many things i want to ask so i will start with this one:
whats the best way to start taming my chucks? they are 18weeks old,they will in the future have free range access of the back garden so must be able to catch them when required :)
thanks guys x
yippiechickie.gif

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
So glad you joined us!!!!
wee.gif
At that age it will take a little patience if they have not been handled regularly. Don't rush them, let them get use to you. Giving them treats as often as possible and make gentle movements. Don't chase or startle them too much. They will get use to you and will soon be coming up to greet you every time they see you. This has worked for me even with some of my most timid hens.

Hi, thankyou for your advice
big_smile.png
i am sat in my conservatory waiting for the dawn to break and the girls to wake, i cant wait to see them agani! i think i am feeling like a excited kid in a sweet shop lol
ya.gif
xx

Feed them , and stay with them and talk to them while they eat. pretty soon you will be like me and not be able to walk in the yard when the chickens are out. Here I am trying to feed my quail.

If a man can not catch a chicken with them piled on his feet like this. something is wrong.

Here is my Girl Kim Getting them used to her out in the yard.

Notice in all Pics they are out of the pen and free-ranging.
Makes no difference what you use for treats as long as you do it in very small doses so they just get a taste of the treats and not a crop full . All I do to put up my birds is go into the coop and holler " where are my girls " they come a running.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

I use a can with some scratch in it, each day shake the can and call them, sprinkling a little around your feet. Only feed them their treats in the run, and they will quickly learn to go there when you call.

Back
Top Bottom