New Bill Threatens Aviculture & other Pets....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
To summarize the best I can, it has been proposed to Committee to restrict the keeping of all non-native and non-domestic animals. It is under the quise that these animals can be a threat to native fauna.

The threat to native fauna is real, but it is in selective locations and with selective species. At its current stance, it proposes an outright prohibition of all species. Example, Sundown has Mandarin Ducks listed on his signature, those would be prohibited as they are a wild, non-domesticated species. We operate an Animal education and outreach company (http://www.animalwonders.net/) and we would affected as nearly all of our species are non-native. The bill states that one can possess what they currently own, but prohibits future purchasing or owning. How does one replace species that die of natural causes?

Another aspect of this bill that seems overlooked by our "leaders", private aviculture is vital in the preservation of a number of species. Having been involved in the zoo world for more than a decade, I know fist hand that they do not have space, time, money, or desire to keep certain species that are on the verge of extinction in their native lands. When was the last time you saw an Edward's Pheasant in a zoo? (visit the American Federation of Aviculture's website for more examples http://www.afabirds.org/ )

This isn't something to set back and roll eyes at because you just keep domestic fowl, anyone remember the hysteria of Bird Flu a few years back? They see an inch and will take 10 miles, so it is important that we stand up and keep this from passing.

Dan

Quote:
I could use some more help understanding the objectionable language. As I read it, it would prohibit the keeping of species that are wild, non-native and harmful. Are Mandarin Ducks deemed harmful?

Does it matter how they are kept or where they are kept? For example, there have been problems with pythons released in Florida... but there'd be no problem to native species from pythons released in Minnesota.

It might be helpful to know more about who introduced the bill and what they had in mind. I read the language of the bill, but it's all about standards for "harmful" and that was not defined anywhere that I saw.

Quote:
To summarize the best I can, it has been proposed to Committee to restrict the keeping of all non-native and non-domestic animals. It is under the quise that these animals can be a threat to native fauna.

The threat to native fauna is real, but it is in selective locations and with selective species. At its current stance, it proposes an outright prohibition of all species. Example, Sundown has Mandarin Ducks listed on his signature, those would be prohibited as they are a wild, non-domesticated species. We operate an Animal education and outreach company (http://www.animalwonders.net/) and we would affected as nearly all of our species are non-native. The bill states that one can possess what they currently own, but prohibits future purchasing or owning. How does one replace species that die of natural causes?

Another aspect of this bill that seems overlooked by our "leaders", private aviculture is vital in the preservation of a number of species. Having been involved in the zoo world for more than a decade, I know fist hand that they do not have space, time, money, or desire to keep certain species that are on the verge of extinction in their native lands. When was the last time you saw an Edward's Pheasant in a zoo? (visit the American Federation of Aviculture's website for more examples http://www.afabirds.org/ )

This isn't something to set back and roll eyes at because you just keep domestic fowl, anyone remember the hysteria of Bird Flu a few years back? They see an inch and will take 10 miles, so it is important that we stand up and keep this from passing.

Dan

Thanks Dan- I agree that everyone should be concerned. Once they pass something like this, it can lead to other Bills which may threaten our domestic chickens.

I am still confused on some of it. From what I understand it would stop ownership of all non native species. Since pheasants and partridges and such arent native what will happen to them as far as being raised and released for hunters? Would this effect other varieties of the species such as all the varieties of coturnix exept the wild color?
I can see doing away with non native species in some place like Hawaii because its so small to begin with. I am going to have to read it I guess. I will also post this to the taxidermy forum so the breeders over there wil know about it.

Seeing a lot of people taking about being confused, that is just what these politicians do best - keep us dumb and under control. Just about every bill introduced in history is confusing for the average person read. This one included!!

Quote:
From what I can tell, there hasn't been a list made of "harmful" species, only the list of "safe" domesticated animals (haven't feral dogs, hogs, and cats caused more damage across the world than exotics??). I would like to know who will compile the list and what critrea they will use. The wording now shows that all non-natives and non-domestics are on the list, which a Mandarin Duck is both.

Quote:
I agree, I think this is a situation that should be left up to the states and state biologists, not politicians lobbied by the animal rights agenda. Stricter permitting should be done for species which are known offenders, but this bill goes for all.

Some states already regulate certain species - Kansas/Quaker Parrots, etc.

Quote:
The bill was introduced by the delegate from Guam. Guam has had an exotic invader, the Brown Tree Snake, but it was never a part of a "pet" issue or venture, rather a stow-away. The story of the snake ravaging through Guam will certainly garner sympathy and support.

Quote:
The wording indicates as so. It is very close to what has been proposed and defeated in the past, what scares me this time is the inclusion to protect native fauna. This is an issue that even biologists will side with and even I can agree with, but the wording is open to include everything that is not native in captivity. As far as releasing for hunters, we will have to see if their lobbyists come out and help.

Dan

Quote:
they will never stop,they have way more time and money then the average person so they can spend all day everyday at their capitols talking with people pushing their ideas..while we are all home shoveling crap and taking care of our animals.

I was thinking, are fish included in this whole thing? If you look at those crazy flying carp down south then they could regulate those too. Like you said about the dogs, cats, rats, hogs, horses, I could go on and on with species that arent native that have harmed our native fauna. Werent rats one of the reasons that the Laysan teal were almost extinct?
If they say we basically cant own any species that arent native that can be harmful to wildlife then we wont have many critters left.

To prevent the introduction and establishment of nonnative wildlife species that negatively impact the economy, environment, or other animal species' or human health, and for other purposes.

Notice the word "introduction". I don't see the problem when you read the bill. It stops people from keeping a non-native animal w/out showing the ability to control it.

Want to know the problem? Think carp, starlings, corn borers, etc. & the loss of a lot native birds (blue birds are severly impacted by introduced birds from Europe). Think a lot of us are tired of people wanting to keep exotic animals, turn them loose and think this is great. If people would have kept their animals in their native lands, we wouldn't have pheasants but we'd have grouse, praire chickens, etc.

Sounds to me like it would impact pheasants, they are an import from China.

( I won' t comment further here. ) even though you all know I'd love to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom