New birds- confirm breed mixes and one sex question

kristip

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2010
New Glarus
Hi, Just adopted 4 6-9 month old birds today. I believe that I have aRIR(maybe mix, maybe pure?), a Dominique, an Australorp mix(welsummer dad?) and a light brahma mix i believe (might be welsummer daddy again as most of her roos were welsummers). I have a question on the brahma mix... it is a big bird... please confirm it is a hen... it is the only one we are questioning right now. Pretty positive the rest are hens.Thank

64297_img_3697.jpg

64297_img_3703.jpg

64297_img_3700.jpg

I think the Brahma crossed one looks like a roo and if you say the mom was a Light Brahma and the dad was a Wellsummer, then that proves that he is a roo becuase that cross would make sexlinks were the hens would be Red Columbian and the roos would look more like Light Columbian like the one you have but its really messy.

But acutally I dont think hes a Brahma mix, if he were he should have a pea or modified comb since pea is dominant over single and is coloring looks more like a messy Delaware roo, even if he was a Brahma mix Sexlink roo, he should have more gold leakage. Does he even have feathered leggs ? Can you get anothe pic showing his whole body ? The leggs and tail are important things that we need in the pics when we are trying to decide genders just from looking at pics but I'm pretty sure its a rooster.

Your "Brahma mix" is not a Brahma nor a mix. It's a purebred but hatchery quality Delaware cockerel.

Quote:
I agree, He is a roo for sure and he is not a Brahma mix becuase he has no brahma influence, Pea Combs and feathered leggs are both found in Brahmas and are both dominant traits that would be passed to the offspring and yours has neither. And he has is hackles and tails are barred columbian so he is either a lower grade hatcher Delaware or a Red Sexlink rooster from using a Delaware hen as the mother for the particular cross, which is a popular mother breed for most hatcheries that breed for the Red Sexlinks.

here are some additional pics a week later. Figuring this is about a 20 week old bird.
Still leaning towards roo??? One of my 4 is laying but I am not sure which one.
Help me determine gender still- as it will go back to the farm if a boy

64297_img_3721.jpg

64297_img_3722.jpg

Back
Top Bottom