New birds, sissy rooster...

jakesterz

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 23, 2014
I got 5 jumbo browns from someone getting rid of them. Three hens & 2 roos. When I got them it seemed like one of the hens was just a *****, chasing everyone around pecking.

After watching for a day, I see it's not her. It's one of the roos who acts neurotic. He paces, running back n forth until she's had enough and goes after him. Then it's a free for all.

I'm thinking of moving one or the other to a pen with some other quail.

Thoughts?

The neurotic rooster will even go to the bitchy hen and hold his head up for her to peck. Masochistic quail?

Yep. Boys can't live together when there are girls around, so I'd suggest either selling one of the roo's or separating one to be with other girls. Maybe match the neurotic roo with some nicer ladies?

Out of all my quails, my roo can handle and court three of them, but this other hen is currently unable to tolerate him and will more than willingly pursue him, grunt at him and nip at his neck or cheek feathers as if she were a male (but she's 100% female).

Last edited:
Can't have more than one roo in a cage, its asking for trouble. The neurotic behavior is probably him trying to get away from the others. If you want to keep that roo get him 4-6 young hens. The younger hens are less likely to bully him.

I was thinking of leaving the two roos together since they don't seem to care about each other, and move the hen to another pen and move some new hens in.

Yesterday I moved the hen that was picking on him to another pen, and added some hens so there's two roosters with six hens in one pen, and one roo with five hens in the other. Everything seems copacetic.

Can't have more than one roo in a cage, its asking for trouble. The neurotic behavior is probably him trying to get away from the others. If you want to keep that roo get him 4-6 young hens. The younger hens are less likely to bully him.
Actually you can have roosters together.My friend has had at the most 9 roosters with about 26 hens.They actually don't fight badly.My roo hatched a chick that was a roo.He was fine until he hit teenage months.This is then he started squaring with his dad.Of course Joe is leader and decided to take the challenge.He did kick him off,but he made his son stay far from the hens.In the end he did kill him.But this only happen because of dominance.He would usually "peck him if he were to mate with the hens,after he faught Joe it turned the peck into full out fighting.Son was always pretty frightend,but still.

The two roos together are from the same brood, and show little interest in one another. But the weird one hasn't gone after hens either. He just kinda hangs around. I'll probably just keep him around until time to butcher.

The two roos together are from the same brood, and show little interest in one another. But the weird one hasn't gone after hens either. He just kinda hangs around. I'll probably just keep him around until time to butcher.
Good,I'd still keep an eye on em'.How old are they?

Back
Top Bottom