new "Blue Chicken" mama

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nc_notary, May 31, 2011.

1. nc_notary

nc_notary New Egg

May 25, 2011
    Hey y'all. I'm new to this chicken thing. My daughter had an experiment in her "Agri_Science" class this year. All the students learned how to candle (donated from a farm) eggs and then carefully using a needle and syringe, they inject the embryos with dye. Then they put the eggs in an incubator and waited to see what happened. Needless to say, we ended up with a Blue Chicken. She is the most beautiful chicken I have ever seen, of course I am very partial to her even in her 8 short days here with us. She's only 11 days old as it is. The teacher sent home some starter feed and that's it. No instructions on how to be a chicken mama or anything. I've come to realize that chickens are born knowing how to be chickens. Blue chicken shows me what she wants, it's getting easier to understand now. She nuzzles under my hand or snuggles next to me when she wants to sleep, (screams/cries) cheeps if she starts missing us, or just wants to be held. It almost sounds like she's laughing if we go to her box and check on her, she notices everything and won't let you leave without hold her or touching her!!! I love that little baby, OMG! And this site helped us get her to 11 days old so far. Reading all the forums have really helped us tremendously. BTW, my daughter is in her freshman year of High School, and she won the Award Of Excellence in Agri-Science class this year! Now to figure out what kind of chicken Blue Chicken is!!! Well that's about it, I just wanted to kind of open up the lines of communication and say hey! Thanks for reading! Have a clucky day![​IMG]

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations to your daughter for her Award Of Excellence.

I'm glad you're reading all the forums; you'll find a wealth of info here.
    I'm sure you already checked out the Raising Baby Chicks page and have read about the care and feeding of baby chicks.

Also, chicks do way better when they are not the lone chick, so if it's possible for you to get maybe two more, that'd be best. CraigsList is a good resource for finding chicks.

Have fun and welcome, again, to the forum!!

[​IMG]

3. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Welcome! The forums offer so much info so good luck!
    From Utah
    QP

4. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Hi [​IMG]

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

you know, we will need pictures of the blue chick

Imp

6. rivers2011

rivers2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    ditto on the advice to get her some company if possible. One of my friends did raise a single chicken successfully, but it was only that one try out of many

7. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm glad you are enjoying your chicken experience so far. Did other kids in the class also take home some hatched chicks. If so your daughter may want to check with them to find out if they are truly motivated to raise the chick into adulthood. If not, that may be one way to find blue chick a companion or two.

Welcome to BYC forums and the whole chicken experience. Once you have 10 posts you can upload a pic of blue chick.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

9. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

10. rivers2011

rivers2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    You should post pics! Coloured chicks are so adorable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by