New Breed meat bird project is under way.

al6517

Real Men can Cook
11 Years
May 13, 2008
Well the hatch is on and they are popping out very well....................

This hatch is kinda special because there are several of my projects eggs in this hatch. those of you who know me know I am working on breeding a new type of self sustainable meat bird and have several combo's hatching today, here are the combo's.

White Rock Rooster over Cornish X laying hen's that I raised special to get to laying age.

White Rocks from pure good breeding stock.

Standard White Cornish, trio my pride and joy.

White Rock Rooster over Pure bred Standard Cornish Hen's.

Standard White Cornish Rooster over Cornish X Hen's.

Standard White Cornish Rooster over pure White rock Hen's

Cornish X trio's mated to each other.

Standard white Cornish over Cornish X hen's.

These should give me some good stock to work with and keep good log's of there Traits and growth rates, along with new pure parent breed stock. These birds will then be bred with any and all of the above combinations to judge where we should start with F-2 generation. All this may take several years but I have plenty of time to work with it.

AL

I have a 7 pound rooster hatched in Jan - cuckoo marana - weighed him yesterday , and a couple of hens that went over 5 same hatch . do the cornish really grow fast . I've never had any but was thinking about getting some .

I'm really excited for you Al!!!!! keep good records . . . PLEASE
big_smile.png
I am really interested to hear the differences in the roo/hen hen/roo combo's. Also hatch rate would be interesting to know . . .

Hi Al,

I'm interested in starting a similar breeding project in my area. What literature would you recommend that I review for information on Line breeding? What qualities are you measuring from each chicken? Do you happen to have a form that you've made to make it easier for data collection?

Where do you obtain your starting birds?

Dan

Sounds great ; best wishes for a successful hatch and some great chicks . I'd love to see pics of the chicks and your breeding stock along with updates .

Yeah I do plan to keep good records but right now the push is on to get some good numbers on the ground as it may be some time before I can start to cull for certain things I want and growth rates. I am working on a matrix form to do this and also keep you posted on the progress.

AL

Back
Top Bottom