New breeder question - when chicks die

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LongRanch, Mar 18, 2017.

1. LongRanch

LongRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2016
    Hi folks, I've only been selling eggs and chicks since the fall and have been doing really well at it. Everyone has always had good fertility rates on the eggs (even shipped ones) and chicks have always been healthy. Last month I sold two dozen eggs to a girl who said that not a single one showed any development at a weeks candling. I assumed it was her incubation technique because I had put my eggs in on the same day as her's, and mine were a lot older and I had good fertility rates (as well as everyone who bought eggs after this). These were literally the only ones that had issues, and at the time I had several more roosters than I do now (and just candled 107 of my own eggs at one week incubation -- only 5 showed no development). Anyways, even though I understand that I couldn't be held responsible for hatching eggs, as I'm trying to build myself a good reputation I decided to replace them for free. I sold 30 chicks to her at the same time. I didn't get a good feeling about it and now I'm worried -- what if my eggs were fine, and they were just fishing for free eggs...and what if they get these chicks and suddenly tell me they died and want their money back or want replacements? Even if it ended up being true, has anyone dealt with this? What is the proper protocol when chicks die (or you're told they die)? Do you refund, do you require some sort of proof first, do you need a vet to perform a necropsy so you can prove you're at fault, or do you not accept any responsibility at all?

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Good for you for trying to make it right! I think that you've shown good faith and more than replaced her losses. Sometimes things happen, and sometimes shipping or incubator management issues are less than perfect. I wouldn't replace any more! Good work, Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by