1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New brooder for babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenlips, Apr 26, 2007.

1. chickenlips

chickenlips Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    I thought I'd share the brooder my DH whipped up two days before my chicks were due to arrive March 7th. It's 3' wide by 6' long by 23 inches high. It's off the floor, since it's on 4 wheels, which makes it so easy to roll around and has handles on each end. The two doors on top open and close separately and have magnets attached so over-zealous growing chicks can't accidently open them. The doors can be propped open by dowels. A cross bar goes across the top to help support the doors and to allow lights to clamp to it down low for new babies. As the chicks have grown I now lay the lights on top of the screen. I have 21 regular size chicks and 7 bantams ranging in age from 7 wks to 5 wks. and they still have lots of room. They'll be going into their new coop next week. The brooder cost $75 to make.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] This last pic shows my brand new babies in one half of the brooder box.

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    It sounds great. But for some reason the pics don't load for me.

3. Sunshine Hen

Sunshine Hen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    they don't load for me either. [​IMG]

4. mandolinmama

mandolinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Urbana Missouri
    I can't seem to get them either. I'd love to see your brooder though. Is there any way you can go back and try it again. Are they sized to big??
    I'll check back and see. [​IMG]

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I cant see the pics either [​IMG] Sounds great tho...what a good DH you have!

6. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
  7. franfoley

franfoley Out Of The Brooder

Wow looks more like a chicken house than a brooder! Mine is just a cardboard box.

8. girlsnboys

girlsnboys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2007
    Whidbey Island, WA
    I think the link is your coop not the brooder?

9. chickenlips

chickenlips Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    I'll try re-posting the pics and see if that helps. Let me know.[​IMG][​IMG]

10. catballou24

catballou24 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    wanna build me one?! LOL that is really nice! [​IMG] i was just going to use a cardboard box myself...LOL way to go!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by