New broody chicken

Odimov78

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2021
Hello! I have young Easter egger hens and three of them suddenly went broody at the same time! I put 10 fertilized eggs under each one of them after they sat in a nest for 5 days straight to make sure they don’t change their mind. They were pretty consistent. But then after one day of sitting on the eggs, one hen left her nest. I found the eggs air temperature ( it’s about 88-90 degrees outside). Then she came back to sit on them. I am not sure how long she was away, but eggs didn’t feel very warm to the touch. Do you think there is still hope that they will hatch? Thank you.

It's normal for the hen to get off the eggs for a while in the morning, and the eggs wil cool down some then, but If she's getting off in the middle of the day she might just be a bad sitter. You should candle the eggs at night around day five to see if they are developing properly.

Hello! I have young Easter egger hens and three of them suddenly went broody at the same time! I put 10 fertilized eggs under each one of them after they sat in a nest for 5 days straight to make sure they don’t change their mind. They were pretty consistent. But then after one day of sitting on the eggs, one hen left her nest. I found the eggs air temperature ( it’s about 88-90 degrees outside). Then she came back to sit on them. I am not sure how long she was away, but eggs didn’t feel very warm to the touch. Do you think there is still hope that they will hatch? Thank you.
trust the broody :) also since your weather is quite hot, things that are normally very warm wont feel as warm, it’s norma!

Back
Top Bottom