Broody hen gave up

Massachuchicks

Chirping
Aug 4, 2023
Hi! I’ve had a broody showgirl sitting on a clutch of five for 14 days now. She gave up and keeps leaving the nest and doesn’t want to sit on them anymore! I have a clutch of eggs in the incubator due to hatch 3 days behind this, can I put the abandoned eggs in the incubator and do a staggered hatch? How would one do that as far as lockdown goes? Help! Really wanna save these babies!

The first 5 (?) days are the important period for turning. I'd say put them in.

I would also suggest you leave some fake eggs in the nest jic. If she returns, you can give her the babies when they hatch.

Hi! I’ve had a broody showgirl sitting on a clutch of five for 14 days now. She gave up and keeps leaving the nest and doesn’t want to sit on them anymore! I have a clutch of eggs in the incubator due to hatch 3 days behind this, can I put the abandoned eggs in the incubator and do a staggered hatch? How would one do that as far as lockdown goes? Help! Really wanna save these babies!
We had issues with hens leaving the nest at night… someone advised it could be mites running her off the nest… we sprayed and dusted with DE and she’s stayed on since… good tip that may come in handy one day!

Back
Top Bottom