New building for my birds

Pics

Black Cochin Bantams

Songster
9 Years
Feb 24, 2010
Iowa
Having lost over 100 birds in 2 predator attacks this year it was time to build a predator resistant building for them. This is what I am building for them.
fl.gif
Concrete floors to ease cleanup.
thumbsup.gif
Windows for cross ventilation and doors at both ends to let them out in the AM and keep them safe each night. The old red hog house in the background is my old coop. We had to drag it to current location so we could build on the old site.

Power is trenched in to the building but nothing is completed yet.

but before we could start anything my neighbors came in and helped me split and move my coop. Then helped put it back together

Last edited:
Wow! Great job! Please post more pictures as you go along.

I will do that. There will be a ventilation/filtration system in it. A friend sent me a link:
http://www.silkiesbygeorge.com/thecoop.html

He has a filtration system like used in woodworking shops to clean the air. I had been considering a system like his or an old furnace to filter out much of the dust. Now leaning towards the woodworking one that hangs on the ceiling because it will not tie up any floor space.

Last edited:
I will do that. There will be a ventilation/filtration system in it. A friend sent me a link:
http://www.silkiesbygeorge.com/thecoop.html

He has a filtration system like used in woodworking shops to clean the air. I had been considering a system like his or an old furnace to filter out much of the dust. Now leaning towards the woodworking one that hangs on the ceiling because it will not tie up any floor space.
Oh....Wow! Thank-you so much!!! My father, before he died, was going to put in one of the woodshop filtration systems. You just reminded me of that! Well, job for the day.....find the stuff and see what I can do.

Oh....Wow! Thank-you so much!!! My father, before he died, was going to put in one of the woodshop filtration systems. You just reminded me of that! Well, job for the day.....find the stuff and see what I can do.
I have looked at several. Jet makes them and I find good reviews on them but the filters are quite pricey. Grizzley makes solid ones too and the filters are considerably cheaper.

Now have temporary lighting and am in process of insulating. Waiting for electrical inspection before moving on to the next step. Hope to get to drywall next week but that may be pushing it.

Back
Top Bottom