New bullying behavior

JulieCB

Chirping
May 20, 2020
Central Virginia
I have four chickens, all 2 years old and all raised together since they were chicks. They have lived peacably together until this week when I noticed some comb damage on one of my Buff Orps. Since then I have observed the other three chickens ganging up on her, pecking and forcing her to the ground. I isolated her in a crate inside the run while I dealt with her injuries which I coated with Blu Kote. I didn't notice any more bullying until this evening when the three were back at it with vigor. The bullied hen is the biggest of the bunch but she does not try to defend herself. Her comb is still discolored from the Blu Kote if that matters. My husband wonders if we should paint everyone’s combs with the stuff to act as a distraction. The hens have plenty of space: the coop is 6'x6', two runs, one 8'x16', the other 16'x40'. Any suggestions to deal with this behavior? If it was just one hen doing the bullying I'd isolate her but not sure what to do when it's gang warfare. Many thanks.

Last edited:
I don’t know how to help but I can give it a try. idea’s to try:
Make a roost area away from the roost area they have now and divide it in a way that the chickens don’t see each other if they sleep in the separated areas. The nastiest time is often at roost time. Its important a chicken that is bullied has an alternative to sleep.
Same with feed and water. Make several area’s to eat and drink.
Divide the flock completely and get a new friend for the buff orp. 2 chickens in the small run and the other 3 in the larger run.
After a few months you can open it up again. Give it a try.

I have four chickens, all 2 years old and all raised together since they were chicks. They have lived peacably together until this week when I noticed some comb damage on one of my Buff Orps. Since then I have observed the other three chickens ganging up on her, pecking and forcing her to the ground. I isolated her in a crate inside the run while I dealt with her injuries which I coated with Blu Kote. I didn't notice any more bullying until this evening when the three were back at it with vigor. The bullied hen is the biggest of the bunch but she does not try to defend herself. Her comb is still discolored from the Blu Kote if that matters. My husband wonders if we should paint everyone’s combs with the stuff to act as a distraction. The hens have plenty of space: the coop is 6'x6', two runs, one 8'x16', the other 16'x40'. Any suggestions to deal with this behavior? If it was just one hen doing the bullying I'd isolate her but not sure what to do when it's gang warfare. Many thanks.
Did you ever figure out a solution? Having a similar problem with my birds.

same problem

Back
Top Bottom