New bullying behaviors

lavenderforluck

Songster
Jun 11, 2018
Richmond, VA
Hi there! We have 11 hens (no rooster) a mixture of breeds. We have had them all since they were about 4-6 weeks old and they have been raised together. They are all approaching 20-22 weeks and some (about 6) have begun laying which has been a lot of fun. However, recently our two Olive Eggers have been picking on our Easter Egger incessantly when she is trying to lay. They chase her away from the nesting boxes, pick on her when she is actively laying.

The girls have a large protected open-air coop that is built into a big outbuilding - about 95 square feet and an outdoor run that is a bit bigger. They primarily free range during the day from about 7am to 8:30pm. We sometimes keep them in the run if we are going to be out for the day or can't monitor them while free ranging - but they're out 5 out of 7 days of the week. They have access to clean water, fresh fruit and veggie treats, and their H and H layer feed as well as oyster shell and grit (just in case they aren't getting it during free range). It gets hot here during the day so we also supplement with a electrolyte fruit smoothies to help cool down the chickens and keep them hydrated.

Does anyone have any advice on eliminating the Olive Egger behavior? If I'm nearby, I've actually sat in the coop while the Easter Egger lays her egg to keep them from picking on her. It seems like it just started as she begun laying - maybe it will subside once everyone starts laying and they get in more of a routine? I would lock the Olive Eggers out of the coop while the Easter Egger is laying, but they also are laying and I don't want to encourage them to lay out in the wooded areas where they sometimes hangout during the day. Any advice is helpful!

I have two mean hens that no matter what I do will keep picking on my silkie. Unfortunately sometimes rehoming is the only way or just letting the bullying happen if there isn't too much of it. You can try to spritz water at them when they do. This is how I managed to get my hens to stop yelling so loudly for no reason.

I have two mean hens that no matter what I do will keep picking on my silkie. Unfortunately sometimes rehoming is the only way or just letting the bullying happen if there isn't too much of it. You can try to spritz water at them when they do. This is how I managed to get my hens to stop yelling so loudly for no reason.
Do you find that the chickens are scared of you after spritzing them? We have a friendly bunch and I'd hate to discourage them from liking humans.

Do you find that the chickens are scared of you after spritzing them? We have a friendly bunch and I'd hate to discourage them from liking humans.
haha no not at all, they just give me the stink eye since they hate being spritzed. I raised the mean girls since they were maybe 4 month old pullets. They are satin silkies which is a very friendly breed to begin with, but I doubt they will be scared. Just do it once and observe her behavior to see how shocking it was to her.

haha no not at all, they just give me the stink eye since they hate being spritzed. I raised the mean girls since they were maybe 4 month old pullets. They are satin silkies which is a very friendly breed to begin with, but I doubt they will be scared. Just do it once and observe her behavior to see how shocking it was to her.
Obviously only do this if the weather permits. I live in Florida and we are in full-blown summer, so the girls partly appreciate the slight mist they receive as a scolding.

It seems like it just started as she begun laying - maybe it will subside once everyone starts laying and they get in more of a routine?
It might, onset of lay is a highly hormonal time.
Changes in pecking order is not unusual.
The water spritz might be a good tool for this issue.
Was the bullied 'low bird' before onset of lay?

It might, onset of lay is a highly hormonal time.
Changes in pecking order is not unusual.
The water spritz might be a good tool for this issue.
Was the bullied 'low bird' before onset of lay?
I think you’re right that there are some changes to the pecking order going on as some of the girls start to lay. Our Easter Egger wasn’t low bird, though not at the top either - she’s gotten more docile after starting to lay interestingly whereas our Olive Eggers have gotten more aggressive. We are still waiting on 5 for their first egg, I’m wondering if by Fall (Sept/Oct) they will have sorted themselves out a bit more. Luckily today they laid at different times today so there was only brief interaction at the nesting boxes. They of course all only like two of the boxes.

We have very real looking fake ceramic eggs in all the nesting boxes - they still love some over the others for mysterious reasons!
Yep, there will still be favorites, usually the nest that was laid in first that day.
I have messed with moving, removing, and adding eggs throughout the day.

Back
Top Bottom