1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New but I can build stuff

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by malcom, Feb 10, 2014.

1. malcom

malcom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2014
    I started a tread in the managing your flock board but I need to post one here as we'll I am new to this so bare with me please. I am looking at trying to have a sustainable flock that I can have at least 2 meat chickens a week and between 4 and 12 eggs a day. In order to have all this they will need a home. Does any one have experience with what I might need as far as how much room I am looking at building how I should build it because I do live in northern maine. Thank you for any help givin

2. chickwhispers

chickwhispers A French Hen

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens!!! [​IMG]

In order to get 4 to 12 eggs you will need at least 14 to 15 hens to get an average of 12 in the hens "good" laying period. For your meat chickens you will need to select breeds and determine which types you want and go from there as far as how often you will need to replace your birds. I believe most meat birds get to be about 16 to 18 weeks for best age for size and tenderness etc. But I think that depends on the Breed. The learning Center here has great info and the Breed section has reviews of the different breeds and you can narrow your searches as well. Good Luck to you and your new flock!

3. malcom

Feb 9, 2014
    Looking at the road island red but I have no idea on how to make them have little ones and how to take care off them

4. chickwhispers

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
    You might want to get a book or two before starting out. I read 4 books and several magazines and checked out Backyard Chicken learning center before I even ordered first chicks. [​IMG] The chicken verision of " Measure twice cut once" [​IMG]

5. malcom

Feb 9, 2014
    Ok that's talk books which ones have good info

6. chickwhispers

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
    These are the ones I read:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I put the pictures of the covers for easy recognition. There are many good ones out there.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by