New But Used

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BunkyB, Mar 16, 2013.

1. BunkyB

BunkyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi guys. Took me a while to figure this out but here I am.Yep, I am another one of YOU...chiken enthusiast. I have been a back yard flocker for many years and have quite a bit of experience with the whole scene. Buying, selling, hatching,rescuing, etc. I am down to about 60 birds right now, my own small flock of mixed geese, ducks and wild turkeys as well.
    I try my hand at crossbreeding purebreds to come up with different strains and heartier breeds.I have a 48 acre hobby farm and the biggest duck pond in my county at the size of a football field. Lots of water for my geese and ducks.
    I have had so many breeds come into my farm here over the years there aren'y too many breeds tat I have not dealt with.Mostly heritage breeds I need to find.There are many bird enthusiasts where I live in Blue Mountain , Pictou County, Nova Scotia, Canada. We take care of ourselves in all ways including the rooster swaps, drake swaps and gander swaps. I guess we all like variety.
    I am sure there are many of you who have dabbled just as long as I have and the experience never gets boring. I thank you guys for taking me on board. I know I will be here a lot to share experiences. My only hiccough here is I am a cancer survivor twice over now and had to downsize my flock down to approx 100 birds from 300+ . I am stubborn as anyone else. I find the birds at this time very theraputic to the health. I recommend chickens to anyone going through the same. Any ways I thought it best to introduce myself with a little background story. Looking forward to the threads.

Steve Major(BunkyB)
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, BunkyB, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here!

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Steve, welcome to BYC - glad that you have come on board.
  7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
  8. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    [​IMG]From Kansas! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]
  9. BunkyB

BunkyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the kind welcome everyone. Makes a guy feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Almost fuzzier than a Silkie I think I will enjoy my stay here. I put a beating on the forum today giving my $0.02 worth in some of the threads here. Have experienced so much with chickens over the years it is hard to hit just a couple of threads. I kinda go all out sometimes. My sorry profile picture will be seen
    I am actually just going to post a couple of ideas I have to pass onto everyone. Suggestions, oh yeahs and wow I shoulda thought about that? LOL This could be fun !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by