Chicken Heads

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2015
Alaska
Hi everyone
1f44b.png
I'm new here just wanted to say hello.... For now
1f61c.png
I have many questions regarding my game rooster, I live in Alaska and lately been very cold I've noticed my rooster not very active and kinda dazed looking kinda confused, with discharge from eyes n slight crust on his nostrils and shakes his head time to time kinda huddle up and his poop is sticky green .... When I first noticed he was balled up n not very responsive when I go in coop and seems very weak, the hens are fine. Coop not very insulated so I thought mayb by insulating and dropped heat lamp down low so he can warm up, he stay under heat lamp all night next day he seem more alive inside coop temp is now at 40 degrees before it would get so cold the water freezes over night..not knowing what to do so I decided to add some duarmycin to water as treatment.... With fresh veggies and feed. I really have no idea Wat he's got but he seems a lot better then when I first saw him. Help please he's a Thailand type game rooster
1f64f.png
1f64f.png
1f64f.png

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Thailand game roosters are not really suited to the frigid winter climates that Alaska has in the winter. Alaska Backyard Chickens has a good article on breeds that are recommended for Alaska's brutal winter temperatures at http://akchickens.org/getting-started/recommended-breeds/. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Thanks Michael
1f44d.png
So do you think he is just cold ? Or is he sick with something? He's also lost a lot of weight but like I said a big difference from when I first noticed him. Also he was shivering when all this happened but since the warmer conditions inside coop sealed water containers from contaminating debris and elavated feeder fresh veggies cleaning his eyes of gunk and nose applying Vic's vapor rub to some face areas and under his wings... Also I've been manually giving him medicated water to make sure his drinking. Wish I had more time to really watch him but with work can't really do much. Feel free to ask me questions just incase I've missed something.... Thanks again

If he is the only one that can't tolerate the cold, maybe you could bring him in the basement or garage with a heat lamp, till the warmer weather comes in spring. Did you get him from someone that lives in Alaska? Maybe they could say how they raise their birds in the cold weather.

Yes I did get him from a friend that found him on the side of the road, looks like someone may of fought him to the point where he lost n they just discarded him left for dead. When I first pick him up he didn't have much feathers I'm guessing from fighting but seem healthy , Realizing what type of breed he was I decided to keep him and actually went and bought a hen of the same breed but of course she's got way more feathers compared to him. Summer time. I have no idea who the original owner was and I'm sure there's a few breeders around here but I breed for show and food eggs.... And am not the type to brutally fight them so I don't really know anybody to turn to for advice regarding his health issue, He did really good up until the cold snap. I've just noticed this bout 4 days ago. He usually moving around making noise crowing every morning til 4days ago. If it just the cold I can fix that, I'm just worried he's sick and don't want to lose him
1f622.png
Hopefully it was just the cold. Thanks for the reply drumsticks

Thanks Michael
1f44d.png
So do you think he is just cold ? Or is he sick with something? He's also lost a lot of weight but like I said a big difference from when I first noticed him. Also he was shivering when all this happened but since the warmer conditions inside coop sealed water containers from contaminating debris and elavated feeder fresh veggies cleaning his eyes of gunk and nose applying Vic's vapor rub to some face areas and under his wings... Also I've been manually giving him medicated water to make sure his drinking. Wish I had more time to really watch him but with work can't really do much. Feel free to ask me questions just incase I've missed something.... Thanks again

You're welcome. I think his symptoms are likely a result of stress and hypothermia caused by his exposure to the cold. Thailand is a very warm climate and the game chickens from that area are simply not adequately feathered and physically bred to deal with the kind of cold that Alaska has in the winter. I agree with durmstick diva. I would try and bring him into a basement or shelter of some kind that is at shielded from the outside temperatures and warmed with a heat lamp.

Hi there and welcome to BYC. I have been raising aseels which are a gamefowl for the past decade but however as I am located in a tropical area so my cocks don't usually feel the cold as much as there is in Alaska. They can tolerate cold though but as you said that the rooster might have been fought and in such a scenario the weakness he had might be due to injuries he might be having which made him weak and reduced his immunity to the cold. I suggest you try to keep him warm and I assure you he'll be ok as gamefowl are very hardy birds you will just love them.

p.s. can you post a picture of your roo and his girls.

Back
Top Bottom