New BYC mumma of 5

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jennloveshens, Jul 4, 2016.

1. jennloveshens

jennloveshens New Egg

Jun 21, 2016
    NH
    Hello, :) :cd

I've been raising 5 hens for a few months now. We got them when they were only a few days old - little, fluff ball cuties - who stayed in a cage, on a perch I made for them, all nice and cozy under a heat lamp.

To be honest, I had no idea what I was doing, but was directed here, to BYC, after googling some questions I had. I'm learning new things every day, such as what breeds my girls are. I think I figured them all out. I believe my "black" girl is a Plymouth (rock) Barred, my 2 (look identical) whites look like: light/white brahma's(?), 1 orange-brown is a Rhode island Red(?), and my 1 brown w/ blackish tail is a Welsummer(?) if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me, like I said, I'm still new to all this. Here's a visual:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:yiipchick So anyway, the girls are pretty spoiled. Out of our 3 acres of property, they explore at least a good, solid acre of land between the surrounding woods and the front / back yards. My girls are completely free range now, everyday until bedtime, which is around 7:30pm nightly, so far. On hot and humid days, they like to lay down and relax in the shaded woods under shrubs and small trees, in a pile of old leaves. Or in their dirt bathing area, where I dug A little for them, so they can feel the nice cool ground.

They enjoy hanging out together, eating bugs, snacking and trimming long grass, being naughty and eating seeds they aren't suppose to, and coming up to mom (me) if they ever get hungry. Their fave treats include a little Kefir and plain yogurt(very spairingly), frozen Corn (frozen, fresh, ect) and Peanut butter on various breads.

Today's a beautiful day, the 4th of July. Yesterday I mowed the lawn after neglecting it for a couple weeks. Afterwards, the girls seemed to be having a field day. They usually stick to the wooded areas surrounding my yard, but after I mowed, they couldn't stay out of the regular grassy yard! We also just got a puppy a week ago, and surpringly even though the puppy is a hunting type breed, the 5 pullets and her seem to get along. Sometimes the puppy thinks she can play with them, but she can't, and only when she's in a play mood I have to keep them separated. No issues really so far.

I love having chickens, wish I would have started years ago!(I'm 26 now) but I'm glad I found this place, BYC, I'm always on the app reading all sorts of chicken things, just trying to be a good chicken mom. :)

Thanks for reading! :p
    ~ Jenn :jumpy

2 people like this.
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Jenn

Glad you could join the flock! What a fabulous interview :D I've really enjoyed reading all about your new chicken adventures and your pics are great. They all look so happy! I too wish I had started my chicken adventures so much sooner had I known how much joy they bring.

Wishing you the very best of luck for the future and be sure to ask any questions that you may have. Everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Jenn, welcome to BYC. Nice, healthy looking pullets. Be firm in not allowing the pup to 'play' with the chickens. Teach her 'no' or 'leave it' so that she knows they are off limits.

4. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi Jenn and [​IMG] They are so cute, and it sounds like they are very happy! Thanks for joining us!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Jenn.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Jenn and welcome to our community.

Best wishes
    Ct

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by