New Campaign Against Backyard Chicken-Keeping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, people fighting for chicken-keeping need to know about this. In general, animal rights activists would have been a group that would have been expected to be supportive of humanely-produced eggs. But unfortunately their advocacy of veganism is going to trump that, it looks like.

Quote:

I think there is one thing I agree with..

Shipping day olds by mail

I don't agree with this at all.

Out here if you order from the bigger hatcheries they come by truck on the day of. Other "hatcheries" you pick up. I'm not at all in favour of mail order chicks.

In some parts of the country that's the only way we get chicks
sad.png
Even the feed stores here get theirs by mail order. Ours did have grow gel in the box when they came and were very healthy and have been ever since.

Backyard chickens are not a crime!

I have 2 "shipped ducklings" in my back yard right now. The are about 6 months old now and the picture of health.

Doesn't say WHO the animal rights advocates are. How can we have a good discussion about alternatives with these people if they are nameless? I am guessing its PETA as they are so fanatical they are borderline ridiculous. I have spent my life helping animals but I do eat meat as we are omnivorous and a not vegetarian mammal. Too much soy can reek havoc on hormones in our bodies which is becoming a big issue in the medical community lately. I will add that PETA has brought some horrific practices to light and therefore educated many about humane care and I am grateful to them for that.

I also feel that the treatment of baby chicks on the day they hatch is very sad and inhumane. Grinding the males alive and swishing them all around and sent in shipping boxes to all over the country makes me cringe in horror. We can complain and be horrified but we should really be coming up with a solution instead. I am looking locally for our chicks ( get our first chicks this spring--Yeah!) as I don't like this treatment. All successful big businesses have to keep the bottom line healthy to pay the bills and most are unwilling to take the chance of raising their prices to offer better practices for their livestock. So think local, local, local!!
rant.gif
Rant over--for now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom