New Campaign Against Backyard Chicken-Keeping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
They are crazy?

Its 'potential' life even unfertilized? don't know.

Seems dumb to me as anything you can say about animals also applies to plants.

Both plants and animals have (plants sometimes only in certain circumstances) the ability to:

Respond to stimuli (sun/rain/wind/gravity/touch)
Move (think carnivorous plants mostly, and 'touch me nots')
Grow
Reproduce
Communicate (the trees that get infested with beetles send a chemical signal so other trees can begin making pesticide- that tree does NOT make the pesticide so the beetles don't become immune) <-I /could/ look up that particular tree but don't feel like it, been up for ... oh 30+ hrs
Kill or harm other living things for self preservation (attracting ladybugs to kill aphids, creating pesticides, using pheromones to attract predictors of what harms them)
Use resources (even at the determent of other things)

-----

We should ban plants too- we can all eat rocks.

or we should persicute plants and animals for surviving... or what?
roll.png

The problem is that if they get organized, they can create opposition in a lot of towns that might otherwise be open to the idea of allowing chicken-keeping. One of the things we've had going for us is that there's been no organized opposition, so when we organize, we can often win. If there's an organized opposition, it'll make things much harder for those of us who are trying to convince our towns that this is something that lots of people want and that not many people DON'T want.

Quote:

It's a coalition of animal sanctuaries:

Supporting Organizations:
Animal Place
Chicken Run Rescue
Eastern Shore Sanctuary and Education Center
Farm Sanctuary
Sunny Skies Bird and Animal Sanctuary
United Poultry Concerns

Quote:

Last edited:
Except that these organizations are all animal sanctuaries -- it's not PETA (yet -- I agree with you that if PETA comes out against it, that probably works in our favor!) but these are all organizations that "sound" good and not crazy. However, they're mostly organizations that rescue food-production animals and in their ideal world no animals would be food production animals. In their ideal, all animals are companion animals, period. Most domesticated animals would eventually become rarities, as few people would keep cows or pigs or even chickens purely as pets.

Quote:

Last edited:
Daisygirl, their point is that no matter how you get your eggs -- whether from the grocery, the farmers' market, or your own backyard -- these large commercial hatcheries which do hideous things like grinding up male chicks are the source of the laying hens. Therefore there's no good alternative and we should all just stop eating eggs.

Quote:

Always something for someone to get their undies in a bunch over.

Tomorrow it'll be about eating carrots and thereby hurting little bunnies.

The unfortunate thing is we as human beings have already treated chickens so horribly for so long that we need to try to get it right. We have to start somewhere and having backyard chickens who are cared for properly and loved is at least a baby step in the right direction. If we do nothing, nothing will ever change. Eventually there will be less of a demand for battery hens (and broilers) and the loss of the almighty dollar will speak loudly to those big commercial companies to either change their cruel ways or get out of the business. It won't happen overnight but it will and can happen if we all make it so. Instead of just complaining we need to make goals and mine is to never buy grocery store eggs and educate others about what the hens endure for a cheap food source. I already have done so at my hospital and several folks are now buying eggs from a local farm (I cannot supply such a large group with eggs) where his approximately 60 hens freely range on several acres of land. More employees are getting their own hens too. If more folks do this it will start to become commonplace and we won't need to buy chicks from large hatcheries anymore either because more will be bred locally. We are stronger than many give us credit for. We can educate others to opt for a more "palatable" food source--one that we can honestly say is humane.

I see no problem with chicks shipped thru the mail. I've used this service 3 or 4 times and never had a problem. I am currently raising approx. 300 or so chicks to be sold at auction somewhere between the end of Feb till Apr. or so. I will raise the rooster chicks right along with the pullets. I realize I won't get as much for the roosters but I'm sure not going to be eliminating them as soon as I'm able to determine sex. Not only sickening but I sure dont want it messing up my karma. I don't mind selling a rooster knowing he's heading for the stewpot but I will not end its life prematurely. Hopefully, everything will work out in the long run. As far as Peta, stick to the big producers and just leave us smalltimers alone. Chickenplucker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom