New chcks and beaks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bigbird, Nov 15, 2008.

1. bigbird

bigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    I just had a few silkies and two blue splash marans hatch. I have heard alot about debeaking. When is it necessary to do? And at what age? I know that with ducks the ideal quota is 3-5 hens per drake. What is it with chickens. Since I have no idea of what I am going to have, if having too many cocks is going to be a problem, what can I do with them? Is there a place to sell them or site to give them away?
    Thanks for your help.

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

You don't want to debeak if you don't have to. Do that only as a last resort if they are picking and pecking each other badly. Debeaking is hard on the chicks and can cause other problems.

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have seen soo many horrific pics of chickens that have been debeaked its sooo sad. It is not necessary at all!!! 10 to 12 hens per rooster is the ratio. Here is a pic of a badly debeaked hen just to show you why you shouldn't debeak them. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5439124

4. bigbird

bigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    Thanks for the advice. I have hatched a total of 12 chicks. Since I have no clue as to what they are now, what can I do if I have mostly roosters? I won't eat them so please give me some ideas now so I can get ready. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by