New Chick’s Feathers Look “Wet” - Help!

Chickflick29

Chirping
Jun 9, 2020
Hello everyone! I’m fairly new to chicken keeping, and I’ve been raising a small flock of happy, healthy hens at my ranch. About 2 1/2 weeks ago, I picked up a bantam chick left on its own from TSC. I’ve kept it in a brooding box lined with fresh hay, and have fed the same Purina complete chick crumbles that my older flock members received. I was out of town Sat.-Sun. (the chicks had a sitter), and when I returned home I found the bantam’s feathers looked as though they’d gotten “wet” and dried that way. I have a golden sex link chick around the same age housed in the brooder as well, and her newly grown wing feathers have begun to look the same. They have an open-top, shallow water dish that I initially thought my chick had simply walked/fallen into, but now that they’re both showing this same symptom I’m becoming a bit worried. I haven’t noticed any change in mood or escalation in scratching/pecking, and both chicks seem to be eating/pooping normally. I’m afraid it could be mites - I’ve been fortunate enough to not have them plague my flock thus far, so I’m not well versed on the sure signs of infestation. None of my pervious chicks ever looked this bedraggled!

Does anyone know what might be going on? Pic of the bantam in question is attached (estimated around 3-4 weeks old)

Attachments

• FB637209-CFB9-46C1-91AA-9D4A227EEA29.jpeg
    FB637209-CFB9-46C1-91AA-9D4A227EEA29.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 80
I looked again and yes this is just normal feathers coming in. All feathers have like a waxy coating almost. The chickens have an oil gland when they are old they rub it on there feathers. Also it is so the feathers do not get wet the water kind of beads on top. Does water bead on tip if you put like a few drops on it.

Hello everyone! I’m fairly new to chicken keeping, and I’ve been raising a small flock of happy, healthy hens at my ranch. About 2 1/2 weeks ago, I picked up a bantam chick left on its own from TSC. I’ve kept it in a brooding box lined with fresh hay, and have fed the same Purina complete chick crumbles that my older flock members received. I was out of town Sat.-Sun. (the chicks had a sitter), and when I returned home I found the bantam’s feathers looked as though they’d gotten “wet” and dried that way. I have a golden sex link chick around the same age housed in the brooder as well, and her newly grown wing feathers have begun to look the same. They have an open-top, shallow water dish that I initially thought my chick had simply walked/fallen into, but now that they’re both showing this same symptom I’m becoming a bit worried. I haven’t noticed any change in mood or escalation in scratching/pecking, and both chicks seem to be eating/pooping normally. I’m afraid it could be mites - I’ve been fortunate enough to not have them plague my flock thus far, so I’m not well versed on the sure signs of infestation. None of my pervious chicks ever looked this bedraggled!

Does anyone know what might be going on? Pic of the bantam in question is attached (estimated around 3-4 weeks old)
What a cutie...do you know what breed?

Back
Top Bottom