New chick and duckling enthusiast

Kdhogge

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 15, 2012
Hello--
My daughters and I are the new "moms" to 17 Pekin ducklings, and 6 chicks. We have the space and live on a small lake so thought it was an ideal setting for them, and we also love duck eggs. I thought this would be a great way to introduce my daughters to agriculture, as we are in a rural area, and to give the some responsiblity experience and perhaps they can even earn a little pocket change in a year or so when our ducks are laying eggs. We were also talked into getting a few chicks with the ducklings-I have 4 Pullets, and 2 Leghorns. Not sure what sex the Leghorns are yet as they are only 4 days old, but hoping only one or neither of them is a rooster, we'll see! I am very grateful for a this site and the forums! While I was raised around chickens, horses, and cattle, I have never done it on my own, and have never been around ducks other than feeding them on the water and admiring them, but was told in the long run they'd be easier to take care of than the chickens and would be more "pet like". Wish us luck!
Kelly

WelcometoBYC.gif

Thank you! Am loving my ducklings, so cute and fun and already following us around everywhere we go:)

Thanks, everyone! So far so good--started with 12 ducklings, I mistakingly typed 17, have 17 total birds including the chicks. We started with a dozen ducklings but sadly lost one after the first night home--he was under the pile of ducklings and chicks that had gathered under the brooder lamp and I think the poor little thing simply suffocated:-( I have hopefully resolved that issue by adding another brooder lamp to the other end of the stock tank they're in so they don't all pile up on eachother. So far so good--they had their first little water play in a shallow pan yesterday and flapped away, very cute. Thanks for the welcome!

Back
Top Bottom