New chick from Down Under!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Triviata, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Triviata

Triviata New Egg

Nov 7, 2012
    Greetings all! I'm from Melbourne, Australia. The coop is currently home to three magnificent hens, two Wellsummers (Miss Bollinger and Miss Andrews) and a Barnevelder (Berenice). At the moment, I'm eager for advice about my Barnevelder, who's not yet laid despite being 8 months old! Hoping there's some wisdom that can come my way!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

4. Spikes Chooks

Spikes Chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Welocme to BYC. I'm in Sydney with 4 chooks - one is a Barnevelder and I am relaibly informed she will be last of my four to lay. They apparently are well known to be late starting. However, they will thereafter be one of the first to come back into lay after the winter months. So there is some consolation. Mine are all onyl 21 weeks old so no eggs yet - theough the Rhode Island Red is looking close to it. It's hard staying patient, isn't it! At least the Barnevelders are very pretty.

Mine are
    Beetle the Australorp
    Ladybird the RIR
    Sylvia the Silver Campine
    Barnie the Barenvelder

Good luck with your egg wait!

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings Triviata, and [​IMG]! Super to have you here! I know nothing about Barnevelders so I won't be of much help. Are the others laying well? You might check out some of the other forums on BYC - like the Chicken Behaviors and Egg Laying thread. Also, there is a thread I'm sure dedicated to Barnevelders that might be worth checking out over on the Chicken Breeds forum. You might get some more precise advice there. Good luck to you!

6. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG]

Glad you are here!

7. silkie3

silkie3 New Egg

May 27, 2012
    Hi! I am also in Melbourne and it's great to have you on BYC. I have found this site to be really helpful with amazing tips and shared experiences. I have had a few failures and am still waiting on getting one good egg!!! but it appears that I'm not in it for the eggs... I love my little girls! Only two now after losing many along the way. An ISA brown and the fluffiest white silkie hen you ever did see... I feel there's an egg coming on any day now!!! Good luck and enjoy the journey.

8. Chicken Happy

Chicken Happy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2012
    North Idaho
    welcome from Idaho![​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. chickens12

chickens12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2012
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by