New chick in GA

chimera

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 23, 2013
Hello, I just found your site, and LOVE all the information you have! I don't have chickens yet, I am in my research phase to make sure I have what they need in place before I bring anyone home. Aiming for 4 hens to start, may add one or two more later. My new 'backyard' is bigger than most, 15 acres, but the vast majority of it is wooded. I have some coyotes, raccoons, possums, and hawks --that I know of-- maybe other predators too. (neighbor mentioned bear and bobcat...) So I want to have something sturdy and safe.

I was reading about the composting with chickens, and think that is something I want to try. Because I won't feel safe free ranging, I plan to do a chicken tractor and have two to four sites for it, and will alternate between chickens and gardens on those sites. I had originally planned to have some meat birds as well as some egg birds, but not sure I have safe space for larger numbers.

I am still a pretty ignorant newbie, and it will be at least a year before I am ready to get any actual birds, but i look forward to learning from all of you!

chimera

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Greetings from Kansas, chimera, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined the poultry universe! With those predators invest in hardware cloth - not chicken wire - in the end it will save you money and a whole lot of heartache. Best wishes!

welcome-byc.gif
I guess there is no way to protect chickens from bears - I hear that electric fencing doesn't work because their fur shields them- but, might keep some of the other baddies away.

The bad thing about a tractor is the chickens can't escape from a predator, it's like opening a box of cookies and reaching in for more.

Well, at this point the bear is only a rumor, and rumored to be very rare and reclusive. Pretty much any kind of enclosure I can design is going to be the same problem, won't it? Free range is just ringing the dinner bell, at least with some stout wire they have a decent chance? Or do you reccommend I just give up on the whole idea...

Back
Top Bottom