New chick in town

CLou

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2021
I just got some barred rock chicks this last two weeks. We got 6 pullets. We had them in a big plastic bin until yesterday. We built them a coop 4'x 6'x 4', added perches and a bail of hay they seem very happy to be outside. I look forward to having eggs and hopefully raising our own chickens for both meat and eggs. I am retired so I am enjoying doing a little gardening. I am also a keeper of tropical fish, doing some microgreens, and just began raising mealworms. I also write western fiction as a hobby.
I live with my oldest son who owns 5 acres of wooded land. I am working my way up to help him get a big garden going. We are hoping for other livestock. Rabbits are next on our list. We have two cats and a dog. Our first concern with our chickens is allowing them to free-range, or at least be outside the coop during the day, without becoming a snack for the cats.
We have a run enclosure 10' x 40' for now and will be getting a full-grown rooster this week. After the chickens are grown we plan to introduce them to the big garden where we will be rotating crops. We are hopeful that the chickens will assist in improving our soil and by fertilizing and composting with our help.
I found your forum by searching online for poultry keepers in Carrollton, Georgia in hopes of getting some guineas and other chicken breeds to add to our flock. Also have some interest in selling our extra chickens/rabbits and eggs in the future.

welcome to.gif

welcome to the flock!

Back
Top Bottom