new chick issues

dcttrt

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 22, 2012
I currently have a small flock of ten mixed hens only, I've gotten 9 new chicks.
5 brown Leghorns
2 Barred Rocks
2 Red Rocks
all are from 7 to 5 weeks old
They were raised by same supplier but not together as a group.
First problem Brown Leghorns are being so aggressive I've had to separate Red Rocks and Barred rocks out!
How can I raise chicks as a "group" or is this possible. (brown Leghorns are drawing blood on Barred Rocks and Red Rocks! )
Next how do I immagrate them into existing flock so they have less stress if possible and won't be harassed excessively?
Also at what age (temps here are still cool at night here) do I introduce them outside with current flock.

Within the first week of getting chicks I give them a big clod of dirt with grass attached. They learn to peck the ground instead of each other. Even the youngest chicks need things to keep busy. As you've found out, some breeds are more aggressive than others, and within that there are individuals that are true bullies. In that situation, make sure that your brooder has plenty of space and at least 2 feeders and waterers. By the time they're 3 weeks old, I like to add sticks for them to climb on and learn to roost. For older hens that are causing trouble, and to integrate the flock, you might want to read this FAQ on my web site:
http://www.hencam.com/henblog/introducing-new-hens/

Integrate them the same way you would two group of older birds where one group is aggressive. In couple of days add the lest aggressive brown leghorn to the rocks. When that settles,should be the next day,add another leghorn. Repeat until you have the most aggressive leg horn left to integrate. The last one will be moving into a new flock with an established pecking order to work its way into. Distractions add before an addition will help. They are old enough to use treats as a distraction.

Back
Top Bottom