New chick mama:)

TwoCrows, thank you for your great insight and advice. The chicks are very small still however they came home knowing how to drink and eat out of the proper containers and we have been watching to make sure that each has made trips to water and feed. Along with that we marked both containers in their brooder to keep track of how much they are eating and drinking. They definitely prefer to be laying down and snuggled but have been active as well and don't seem to be showing any signs of being too warm or too hot. I think the pasty butt problems came with them from either where they were at or the ride home. Either way they seem to be staying cleaned up today.

I did have a question about how easy it is for the birds to make me or my family sick? I honestly didn't think too much about it past making sure hands are washed before and after contact with the chicks but are there other precautions I should be taking? I read an awful article and just want to make sure I'm not missing anything importNt.

Thank you again to everyone for all the warm welcomes and helpful information. I will post more pics shortly as we are finishing the naming and already noticing changes:) If anyone has any ideas on sexing the chicks and views on immunizations please share!

Turkenstein25pizapw1420385197.jpg

TwoCrows, thank you for your great insight and advice. The chicks are very small still however they came home knowing how to drink and eat out of the proper containers and we have been watching to make sure that each has made trips to water and feed. Along with that we marked both containers in their brooder to keep track of how much they are eating and drinking. They definitely prefer to be laying down and snuggled but have been active as well and don't seem to be showing any signs of being too warm or too hot. I think the pasty butt problems came with them from either where they were at or the ride home. Either way they seem to be staying cleaned up today.

I did have a question about how easy it is for the birds to make me or my family sick? I honestly didn't think too much about it past making sure hands are washed before and after contact with the chicks but are there other precautions I should be taking? I read an awful article and just want to make sure I'm not missing anything importNt.

Thank you again to everyone for all the warm welcomes and helpful information. I will post more pics shortly as we are finishing the naming and already noticing changes:) If anyone has any ideas on sexing the chicks and views on immunizations please share!
The chicks won't make you sick if you wash your hands after handling them. After they grow and molt out their baby fuzz, they lose all that bacteria that could be on them that can make you sick. So make sure the kids don't put their hands in their mouths either until they have washed their hands too. Pretty soon the chicks will be fine and so will you. :)

I agree with two crows on that one i usually wait a week or two before i let kids touch the babies (since the chicks keep themselves a bit cleaner at this point) and always hold them for them and let them pet them, so they don't get injured. it definitely helps teach kids about life.
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom