New Chick Mom

Sep 27, 2021
I didn’t have this comment box on my first intro so I’m trying again! New chick mom, Ive been wanting chickens for the last 13 years lol and finally have a home with a yard large enough! I’m not into forcing animals into a small space they wouldn’t be happy/healthy in. I have a lot of friends with chicken but also wanted to have a group to check in with and read other concerns, troubleshooting…I have 6 chicks and not sure what their sexes are yet so hoping I have some egg layers. I got them from a friend and he didn’t know bc he mixed them up by accident lol so we shall see!! I do want to make sure I’m transitioning them properly. He had them in a barn, no light. Two of them are older and I think are fully feathered the other four im not so sure, still a little fluffy. I have a large run but keeping them in the coop until they’re bigger, although I’ve sat in there and opened the door a few times, a few have come out for just a few minutes but don’t go far from the coop and run back in. I currently have a tarp wrapped around the bottom at night for a little extra warmth and a heat lamp pointed toward the coop, it’s a good 3 ft away and it seems to be good. They have found the upstairs which is enclosed so also good! I’m just not sure when I can take the lamp down as we are quickly dropping in temps. I also don’t know how old they are so there’s that. Any advice on when I can take it down?

:welcome :frow I agree that your location and pictures of your chicks would help. Good luck and have fun...
AccountDetailsLocation.jpg

Back
Top Bottom