new chick... new mom... confused!! PLZ HELP!!

Keni*Sue

Songster
10 Years
May 8, 2009
Campobello
hmm.png
my chick was born yesterday mornin and its in the brooder now and i know hes supposed to have food from the egg for 2 days but hes pecking everything and i thinks its because hes hungary but i havent had a chance to go and get the chick starter and i was wondering if i could feed him the "crumbles" that i give to the rest of my chickens. Would that be ok until i can get some chick starter, or will it make him sick?? or is there anything else that i can feed him untill i get to the feed store?
hmm.png

Last edited:
KS,

In the meantime make sure you got some water in there, remember what I told you about a water dish: wash very carefully some small rocks or pebbles to line the bottom of your waterer so they can't drown in it. Get to the feed store kiddo, they need the nutrients the starter has, in a pinch you could take a knife and chop up the layer feed REAL FINE, almost like a powder... Chicks are inclined to peck and scratch at anything, it sounds like your baby has energy and is doing fine. But don't waste any time getting that feed...

Call if you get nervous.

Last edited:
A little slightly dampened cornmeal will be OK in an emergency. It is not a good longterm food however as it is not balanced in nutrition. But you'll take care of that with the starter.

You can also mix with the cornmeal, ground up old fashion oat meal, ground Flax seed.
when i have new chicks,
I mix
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup ground oat meal
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1/4 cup chick grit

I give 1 tablespoon per chick 2 times a day, for 2 weeks or so.
and their chick feed

i have found since i have been doing this i dont get pasty butt

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom