New Chick not moving

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mbundrum, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Mbundrum

Mbundrum Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2015
    Georgia
    I bought 6 leghorns last night (1 day old) and I put them in with my 4 week old girls, everyone seemed fine last night but this AM I had one not moving! I picked her up and really thought she was dead. I used the blow dryer on her and then put her in a little towel and on a heating pad. She started making some noise, I put some water with electrolytes in a dropper and gave her some. Is there anything else I can do? I'm really worried she isn't going to make it. and do I need to keep them separate?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Day olds generally have reduced mobility, and there is always the chance of them being trampled/suffocated by larger chicks. I would separate them until the younger birds are at least a week old.

3. Husker Chick

Husker Chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2016
    I just got new chicks this week and had the same issue. I was told it could be shipping stress, which could last a week or so. Today- I've had them 2 days now - they are much more active. I did have one with pasty butt I just discovered today, so hopefully she'll make it. I agree you should separate them, for a minimum of a week, maybe more, depending on how they get along.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by