New chick. Not sure how to raise.

Thanks everybody for your comments. Very helpful. I'm tempted to let the chick free range with the others while supervised. I'd be afraid, though, to leave her out unattended because of hawks. So far they haven't bothered the big birds, but a young pullet could be easily snatched. Problem in my mind is how do I get the little girl back in the pen? She's fast and won't let me near.

I believe you worry way too much..;).....The Big hens will look after her...She is not stupid and was raised by a Broody Hen...She was taught lots already my her Momma...Let her go..She will stay close to the Big birds..When they go inside, she will too..:)

Cheers!

Thanks everybody for your comments. Very helpful. I'm tempted to let the chick free range with the others while supervised. I'd be afraid, though, to leave her out unattended because of hawks. So far they haven't bothered the big birds, but a young pullet could be easily snatched. Problem in my mind is how do I get the little girl back in the pen? She's fast and won't let me near.
If she is with the big chickens, she will follow them when you put all of them back. I used to bribe with treats!
big_smile.png

Success. I was able to catch the chick. I put her in a hava-hart trap inside the main coop with everyone else. That's where she'll sleep from now on. In the morning after they all leave, I'll close the coop, open the door to her pen and let her out of the cage. That way she can learn to find her way to her pen and coop where she'll stay during days until she gets bigger.

Quote:
That's probably true, but at this point it's really all I know when it comes to this situation. Serious nub here. I may try what you suggested tomorrow and see how it goes.

Last edited:
I let the chick out with the others this morning and everything looked great. She was acting like on of the crowd and everybody ignored her. Then after feeding, some hens started targeting her. Even a rooster tried to mount her. Broody mama nowhere in sight. Chick ran back to her safe space pen, where she is now. I'll continue to do this until situation normalizes.

Last edited:
I let the chick out with the others this morning and everything looked great. She was acting like on of the crowd and everybody ignored her. Then after feeding, some hens started targeting her. Even a rooster tried to mount her. Broody mama nowhere in sight. Chick ran back to her safe space pen, where she is now. I'll continue to do this until situation normalizes.

It will work out...:)....It just takes time..

Best wishes....

Cheers!

Quote:
I liked your advice (made sense), so I went with it. Seems like that's how it should work. A minor hiccup, but I am well pleased. The fact that she knows where to go when she feels threatened makes everything easy.

Last edited:
Quote:
I liked your advice (made sense), so I went with it. Seems like that's how it should work. A minor hiccup, but I am well pleased. The fact that she knows where to go when she feels threatened makes everything easy.
Thanks...:).....We just need to stop putting human emotions on our pets...:)....They do best when allowed to deal with each other as they naturally would...:) Best wishes...:)

Quote:
It's amazing how fast the mama flipped off any motherly emotion. It's like: "Is this your baby?" Mama: "I don't know what you're talking about."

Quote:
It's amazing how fast the mama flipped off any motherly emotion. It's like: "Is this your baby?" Mama: "I don't know what you're talking about."
Lol...;).....Next time you hatch with a Broody Hen....Introduce earlier...:)......She will make it easier on the Chicks if she has not weaned then....I pop all mine into the flock at 3 weeks with Momma...:)......

Back
Top Bottom