New chick. Not sure how to raise.

I know who mama is now. Her comb and waddles are a bit bloody from fighting. I guess she's trying to reestablish her place in the flock after being away from them for 9 weeks. Since I know who she is now, should I put the baby on the roost with her, or just leave baby in the cage (in the same coop with mama).

I know who mama is now. Her comb and waddles are a bit bloody from fighting. I guess she's trying to reestablish her place in the flock after being away from them for 9 weeks. Since I know who she is now, should I put the baby on the roost with her, or just leave baby in the cage (in the same coop with mama).

Just leave them...If the Hen gets too beat up you might have to remove her and put them out just to free range....

Good luck..:)

Baby ate with the flock this morning, but was more cautious when other hens came close. Wasn't the "We're all buddies" attitude she had yesterday. More like, "Yes ma'am. You first." Wasn't long before she left to find her safe space pen. So it looks like this will be the routine until she gets bigger and more confident.

Quote:
I think mama is doing fine. I'm just going to let them do what they want. Baby seems content alone in her pen; mama was one of the first to start free ranging this morning, and one of the last to return to the coop last night.

Last edited:
Quote:
I think mama is doing fine. I'm just going to let them do what they want. Baby seems content alone in her pen; mama was one of the first to start free ranging this morning, and one of the last to return to the coop last night.
The more you interfere with the Chicks integration into the Flock the chances they won't except her are getting higher....I would let out and not interfere ...;)......

Thanks for the laugh!
1f602.png

Back
Top Bottom